Sign in to follow this  

cr 125 gearing for muddy terrain.

hey guys, my boy is gettin ready to ride in a HS. it is suppose to be very wet/rainy. terrain is sum sticky mud. just wonderin if typically you wanna gear down for such terrain or....? thanks man.

gearing has all to do with the rider. I keep mine the same. Sharp edges on the tires are a plus! next biggest thing for a mud race is patience. One lap can take you from 10th to first or fist to 10th.

gearing has all to do with the rider. I keep mine the same. Sharp edges on the tires are a plus! next biggest thing for a mud race is patience. One lap can take you from 10th to first or fist to 10th.

I agree. Gearing is being able to put the power/torque to the rear wheel. Are there hill climbs? Are they steep? A CR125 needs to be on the pipe, and by being on the pipe means controlling traction. Tire Grip is number one in mud. You can gear it low so that you'll have ummpphh to make a hill, this will make it really hard to keep from slipping, but he can short shift in mud to help traction. There is a balancing act when it comes to gearing, and mud. Stock gearing should be fine. When his power band kicks in also would determine gearing for control. Aftermarket pipes will change that scenario.

My $0.02 worth

Good luck to your boy :busted:

I agree. Gearing is being able to put the power/torque to the rear wheel. Are there hill climbs? Are they steep? A CR125 needs to be on the pipe, and by being on the pipe means controlling traction. Tire Grip is number one in mud. You can gear it low so that you'll have ummpphh to make a hill, this will make it really hard to keep from slipping, but he can short shift in mud to help traction. There is a balancing act when it comes to gearing, and mud. Stock gearing should be fine. When his power band kicks in also would determine gearing for control. Aftermarket pipes will change that scenario.

My $0.02 worth

Good luck to your boy :busted:

Hey SK, well i geared him lower than stock, witch was good. it poured all day, track was clay so it was a very slow paced race. lots of lugging and short shifting was the key. thanks for your input.