Sign in to follow this  

Cutting Handlebars Down...?

I've just brought a bike second hand that has 1" cut off of each end of the handlebars they seem kinda narrow to me . The guy reckons they are real good to ride with , Anyone else cut them down if so how do you find them ? I ride mx ...

Edited by wato

Most woods riders I know cut down their handle bars. It really helps in the tight stuff. Mine felt weird the first time I did it, but after maybe 20 minutes of riding I didn't even notice the difference.

I have twinwalls on mine that are cut down, and I got used to it after a few laps. But Im not sure how well bark busters would fit now that the bars are more narrow. I think the inner clamps might interfere with the bar mounts.

Some guys just get mini bend bars. They come narrower and a little taller than regular bars and still have enough room for levers etc. because the reduced width is in the middle.

My previous crf I cut the bars down 1 1/2" on both sides, as you can see I cut them down enough when I put my bark busters on the center mounting location on the bark busters would be in flat area of the handlebars. Had to put the mounts of bark busters for the center section of the handlebars in the lathe and remove some material to fit around the largest area of the fat bars. Was definitely a change of feel of the bike for the first 30 minutes of riding but I love riding super tight single tracks and this was a huge improvement.

I will tell you though had the fair mx race roll around after I had cut them and I usally enter and try to bring home the dash for cash. Little bonus money for riding:thumbsup:. I took the bark busters off before racing due to the fear of wrecking and my arm slipping down in one getting stuck. Went out of the track and hit a few jumps and did not feel comfortable at all, the bark busters kind of act as a wall if you will to help keep you hand from sliding off the grip, so I chalked it up a lost and just watched the rest of the evening. So anyway my report on cutting the bars is a huge improvement if you run a lot of tight single tracks, or just want to be faster on single track trails, but not good if you are going to still be doing any jumping.

DSC_0060.jpgDSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

I cut mine down for sigletrack. As stated, get mini bars due to the narrower center section. Cutting down regular bars too far will put the levers on the slope of the bar which makes them turn up rather than flat along the grip. They suck for track though, wider is better there.