Sign in to follow this  

flooding a bike

when you are riding and spill, how long do you have before your bike starts to flood etc. when it is lying on the ground?

in reference to your bikes listed, i had a 05 kdx 200 that took a couple of minutes if i dumped it or forgot to turn the gas on (inteligent). for the xr, mine would take a while to after dumping it.

Easy solution: turn off the gas and tip the bike over enough to dump a bunch of fuel out of the carb bowl. Kick it over and it will usually start right up, then turn the fuel back on.

Actually, assuming you don't have any other issues, laying a bike on it's side won't flood it. The excess gas will simply flow out of the overflow. You could run into an issue where the jets were the low point instead of the overflow if you're on the side of a hill or something like that and possibly flood it then, but even that wouldn't happen too quickly.

when you are riding and spill, how long do you have before your bike starts to flood etc. when it is lying on the ground?

Dunno about your XR, but 2 strokes are pretty hard to flood. I don't ever remember a time when either my KDX or YZ250 actually flooded. I've had both in most imaginable crash positions, including completely upside down. Stand 'em back up, 2 or 3 kicks, maybe 4 in an extreme case, and we're down the trail again.