Sign in to follow this  

Knock on deceleration only.

Just started knocking on deceleration in gear only. Noise appears to be from top front of engine. Starts and idles OK no knocking even when you rev in at idle.

Bought bike new.

8000 miles.

Change oil every 1000 miles.

Yosh pipe 3X3 mod, jet kit.

No trouble till now.

any ideas?

Wuff

Yes, super unleaded. The noise is almost like the slide is banging up and down against it's stop a few times before it quits.

What slide, what stop?

Just my 2 cents worth but with that mileage and you say the noise is near the top of the engine my bet would be the timing chain if you hadn't added the manual chain tensioner.

What slide, what stop?

Sorry, the carb slide.

And no, the locktite fixes have not been performed and neither has the timing chain fix and that is what I thought at first but since it was only happening when, for example, you rolled it on in 4th gear then let off.

Will perform those other mods. Thx

detonation with no load on the motor doesn't make a lot of sense. i'd think it would knock as you were rolling it on in 4th, not letting off if there was a fuel problem.

i'd go looking for a loose header backfiring a little or a worn out countershaft sprocket or chain first. tough to hear over the internet..

just my opinion.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm scheduled to be off all most 3 weeks around the Christmas holidays and am planning to go over it thoroughly and do as many of the fixes as I can.

Wuff