Sign in to follow this  

doing some work to my 05 this winter

Hey guys , I've got an 05 450exc and I'm thinking of doing a few things. Here's what I have in mind: 525 piston and cylinder, R&D powerbowl, boysen qs3 pump cover, exhaust, and maybe some head work. I have a few questions though, do you need to do anything to the 450 cases for it to accept the 525 cylinder? And what do you guys think is the best aftermarket pipe for these bikes? What do you guys think? Thanks for the input.

Decent plan except you should skip the QS. You need less squirt,not more.

the powerbowl comes with an adjustable leak jet, no need to change it. are you looking for max power? What type of riding? You don't have many options with exhaust, fmf is probably the best choice of whats available.

I do pretty much all types of riding. A lot of single track trails. I mostly ride in the woods, but I also ride the dunes here on the oregon coast, I ride track often and usually the ope high desert in central/eastern oregon 2 or 3 times a year. I'm not really looking for max power but just a little more, not that I really need any more a 450 is plenty of power to take me anywhere :lol: so the QS isn't a good choice for these bikes? Does the power bowl help with power? And I was looking at either the q4 or the powercore 4 from fmf. Thanks

for the carb...needle, jets, Honda diaphram and oring mod...maybe have it bored to 41mm for the big bore.

skip the pipe.

http://thumperracing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=37_39_78 :lol::thumbsup:

:banghead:

What's the honda diaphram and o ring mods? And I've hear that the ktm pipes are just as good if not better than any aftermarket pipes, is that true? The only real reason I want to get one is mine is bent somewhere and the tire runs it and it won't be long before there is a hole in it. Thanks for the input :)

+1 on the honda diaphram. I haven't done the o-ring mod yet. Been meaning too but riding my 2t instead. From what I hear the QS won't do any good. Do a search for the other mods.

+1 on the honda diaphram. I haven't done the o-ring mod yet. Been meaning too but riding my 2t instead. From what I hear the QS won't do any good. Do a search for the other mods.

Will do. Can someone explain the honda diaphram? Is it just the diaphram from the carb on a crf450? Or what do you guys mean by that? Is the QS useless on all bikes or just 450exc's? Thanks

There's a sticky over on KTMTalk jetting board w/ part numbers...tons of gud info over there. :)

the "Honda Diaphram" reduces the squirt duration of the pumper for offroad riding...the "o-ring" mod increases the strength of the squirt...both inexpensive.

the stock pipe is a gud compromise between bottom end and top...it's SS and will clean up like new w/ a 3M metal finnishing pad(more aggresive than ScotchBrite).

:lol:

There's a sticky over on KTMTalk jetting board w/ part numbers...tons of gud info over there. :)

the "Honda Diaphram" reduces the squirt duration of the pumper for offroad riding...the "o-ring" mod increases the strength of the squirt...both inexpensive.

the stock pipe is a gud compromise between bottom end and top...it's SS and will clean up like new w/ a 3M metal finnishing pad(more aggresive than ScotchBrite).

:lol:

Ok so if I want to do the honda diaphram and oring mod what do I have to buy? The mufler is aluminum isn't it? Or is it ss also? I like to just use a stainless srubbing pad on my head pipe. Its probably about the same as the 3m pad you're talking about.

The oring doesn't come in the diaphragm kit. In the video I think he uses 2 #6 metric orings.

So I think I decided on the ktm 540 kit. What carb issues to address when doing this? Also looking at the akrapovic pipe. Any word on that? Good bad? Other pipes too are the fmf or leo vince. The only reason I want a pipe is mine is bent and rubbing. Should I just get a replacemnt oem or go afttermarket?

So I think I decided on the ktm 540 kit. What carb issues to address when doing this? Also looking at the akrapovic pipe. Any word on that? Good bad? Other pipes too are the fmf or leo vince. The only reason I want a pipe is mine is bent and rubbing. Should I just get a replacemnt oem or go afttermarket?

The Travis at Thumper Racing will tell you your options...:bonk:

...u probably want the carb bored to 41mm and jetted.

...the stock 450 cam works but there may be an upgrade cam.

...has ur bike had the valves replaced/upgraded? some unshrouding of the combustion chamber is usally done with the valve job on a big bore.

:smirk:

P.S. Most of the gurus(including Travis) hang out over at KTMTalk...I wouldn't consider a project like this w/o checking out that site. :banana:

Is ktmtalk a free fourm? Or is there a member fee? I'l

l probably run the stock cam I like the power curve the way it is and I will be having all the works done to go along with the big bore, carb, valve job ect. With the stock pipe is there any mods you can do to it to make it flow better or are they as good as its gonna get stock? Thanks for the info fellas :bonk::thumbsup:

Is ktmtalk a free fourm? Or is there a member fee? I'll probably run the stock cam I like the power curve the way it is and I will be having all the works done to go along with the big bore, carb, valve job ect. With the stock pipe is there any mods you can do to it to make it flow better or are they as good as its gonna get stock? Thanks for the info fellas :bonk::thumbsup:

Free forum, just sign up

Can't sign up to ktmtalk with free email gmail yahoo, hotmail ect. I sent the admin a message, hopefully he'll let me through.. sounds like things are pretty strict over on ktmtalk, probably takers care of most of the ******** tho. Any word on modding the stock pipe?