Sign in to follow this  

2011 Gearing

yes......much better then my 07' was. its even good for indoor

I just put 13/50 on my 07 and I ride woods and race a few HS. But I'm not sure that gearing is tight enough for me in the woods. I feel like I could have another tooth on the rear, I dunno... I think I'm gonna get a 51 soon and hope it doesn't take to much off the top, but then again, I'm always running tight trails and hills and never need 5th gear wide open!

I'm about to go to a 14/50 to let me use 2nd in the corners instead of clutching 3rd. Right now I have to shift too quickly out of 2nd, so I use 3rd in the corners. I'm also hoping it will let me stay in the meat of the powerband more and cure some of the lack of bottom in the 2011, or appear to solve it since I'm in the higher part of a lower gear. I'm probably totally wrong on all points, but we'll see how it goes.

I put on a smaller front sprocket so I can stay away from second gear. I weigh 185 but if I lose 15 lbs I will probably go back. Im going to send out my ignition box, i think that this thing can run a little better with that advanced and leaned a little

I'm about to go to a 14/50 to let me use 2nd in the corners instead of clutching 3rd. Right now I have to shift too quickly out of 2nd, so I use 3rd in the corners. I'm also hoping it will let me stay in the meat of the powerband more and cure some of the lack of bottom in the 2011, or appear to solve it since I'm in the higher part of a lower gear. I'm probably totally wrong on all points, but we'll see how it goes.

Can't believe you feel that the 11 is weak on bottom and strong up top. The bike hits hard down load for a little bike, and falls on its face in the upper mid range and the top end is pretty much missing. I'm thinking about dropping a tooth or two in the rear..

Can't believe you feel that the 11 is weak on bottom and strong up top. The bike hits hard down load for a little bike, and falls on its face in the upper mid range and the top end is pretty much missing. I'm thinking about dropping a tooth or two in the rear..

Yeah well as you can see I put the phrase "I am probably wrong on all points". I'm new so I don't know, but I feel like if I have to clutch a bike and rev it to get into the powerband, then it has no bottom. I had a 2011 RMZ and you did not have to clutch and rev the bike to get it to accelerate. Don't use your clutch the next time you come out of a corner as see if you fall on your face.

I am adding a tooth to there front which is the equivalent of dropping teeth in the back, so we are doing the same thing. How we describe or perceive the problem is different. Either way, if you make the gearing taller, you will be more than likely using a lower gear on average, correct? Which tells me you want to be in the taller part of a lower gear since that is where the power is...up top.

I did go to the 14/50 and I love it. Every gear is much more usable. 2nd is perfect for corners. Every gear winds out much further and creates more speed. The bike doesn't feel as 'bogged down' as before, or handcuffed. It just solves that issue of not being able to use 2nd because it is so short and having to use 3rd but there not being enough power to start in third and having to clutch it. With the 14/50 you have plenty of time in 2nd to get out of the corner, into position and shifting to 3rd comfortably instead of hurrying everything, or waiting on 3rd to kick in. Also feels more powerful since you can be in a lower gear. You feel much more in control too since you have power to the back wheel.