Sign in to follow this  

When to return to riding after scaphoid fracture?

I fractured my scaphoid back in July, was casted in august, and just got out of the cast this past monday. my question is, becuase my ortho does not seem to have time to answer any of mine, when is it safe to return to riding? i was instructed to go back for x-rays in six weeks. wrist is still kinda sore and range of motion is crappy but pretty good considering the length of time in the cast

First off, I'm not a doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt. 16 weeks, so the bone should be fine. You say sore and limited range of motion. Consult an exercise physioligist to get some rehab ideas... tell him you ride and ask for strength exercises. The worst thing you can do is go ride, fall, and break something again, so don't do it. Remember, at this point, you can think "move" but since the muscle is weak, it won't do it as quickly as it used to. Plus its weaker, so range of motion and strength is what you want. I know a guy who has broken his hand so many times now that if he rides much, it breaks just twisting the throttle. You don't want to get in that shape.

Edited by ronbuell

I am a doctor AND I stayed at a Holiday in last night.

The fact that the doctor asked you to come in for more X-rays tells me he is not certain of the healing. I wouldn't ride until the X-rays indicates absolute healing!

I have learned from experience to listen to the doctor! Every time I tried to return to riding because I "felt" ready, I wound up falling backwards and starting the healing process all over again. Don't go on your own judgment, listen to what the doctor has to say.

All the best,

Jason

Thanks for all of the responses! I just checked my paperwork over again it says on one of the reports that I go back in six weeks but not for x-rays, i was under the impression i was getting more. I guess its just a general check up on the wrist. She told me she did not see a fracture on the latest x-ray, but i guess i should maybe wait until after I see her one more time : (