Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a 520 to convert to SUMO

I found a nice 520 for sale. I'm looking at buying a bike to convert to supermoto for next year. I plan to ride it on a road course and which has a 120+ MPH strait away. I was wondering how these bikes hold up to that type of riding. I'm not new to riding or to racing but I am new to supermoto and KTM. Any help or advice is appreciated.

It can do 100mph, if you want to go faster then it will get expensive.

I suppose you're looking at an exc which has

-wide ratio gearbox, not very good for high speeds (too wide spacing)

-low and torquey cam, can not rev really

-smaller carb (39mm), higher cam probably doesn't help much without boring this to 41mm or bigger

In short: it is not comfortable with those kind of speeds and you'll be waiting for the straight to end. But it's the same with all 450 and similar motos.

Yes I'm looking at an EXC. I figured the wide gear box would be better for a road course. It's a 2001.

So a carb, upgrade cams and high comp piston setup would get me where I want to be?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I think. I have no experience in tuning them to highest peak power, but I would imagine those with a tuned pipe would give some results, enough not to let any purpose built 450 walk by at least. You might run into crank flexing issues with high compression and high rpm's, but that's just maybe. Don't really know about the cylinder head because it's so old, but apart from those it should be good.

Wide ratio gearbox is problematic because 6th is so tall you can not really use it and first is still trials bike low. It's good compromise but bad for serious high speed racing.

Umm. I'm looking at a few bikes. I just found that one local. I am supposed to check out an Aprilia SXV tomorrow. But, I'm still unsure about that bike. I know its a race bike for the street but the reliability is very questionable. I'm unsure if it's not reliable for a street bike or not reliable even for a race bike.

I also have a yz450 2003 converted to sumo near me. I don't know if it will be enough bike. I just don't know enough about what people are actually using out there. I'm open and would love to hear some suggestions.