Sign in to follow this  

250f vs 450f

age old struggle. please tell me pros to going to a 450 most of us could never use its full power so why go up to the 450? im really contemplating getting the new kawi 450. I just came off yz250 and got the 09 kx270f and i feel like i want more. im new to 4 strokes as of a few months and starting my 09 hot is hell will the 450 be just as bad if not worse as im not a big guy at a 135lbs

After break in my 450 is easy to start hot or cold. Before it was broke in tryin to start it hot was a major PITA. If you feel like you want more then why not get a 450?

yep 1/2 throttle howd ya know..... that why my 250 2st is always wound out cuz i cant handle 18~ hp im getting at 1/2 throttle of the 270f.... yep....

Anyway back to reality i just wanna make sure im making the right leap. ive ridden my buddys sxf 350 and it feels very very minimally diffrent in power than my modded 270 so i was thinking to jumping up to the 450. why does everone else jump up too the 450?

You answered your own question when you said "I feel like I want more". You went from a 250t to a 250f. That seems like the problem.

well actually i said "i feel" witch means i think... but i just dont want to hop on the 450 and feel like i have too much unusable power ya know?

Coming off a 250 smoker myself.... it was hard to adjust to the 250fs "lack" of power. But if you really ride those 250fs you can ride them pretty damn fast. The 450 to me is just a little too much. Its not like uncontrollable, just a little unnecessary. Its a lot of fun having all that torque though.

450 is a fad. I have had a few of them, I'm also a lightweight at 145lbs. The 250 2t Is a much better bike for me.. I don't miss the big bore thumper... (Well sometimes I do)

Also depends on what kind of riding you do,

On the track the 450 is king if you can hang on long enough.

On trails I enjoy Being able to flick around the 250, and I can ride it forever compared to the 450!

yep 1/2 throttle howd ya know..... that why my 250 2st is always wound out cuz i cant handle 18~ hp im getting at 1/2 throttle of the 270f.... yep....

Anyway back to reality i just wanna make sure im making the right leap. ive ridden my buddys sxf 350 and it feels very very minimally diffrent in power than my modded 270 so i was thinking to jumping up to the 450. why does everone else jump up too the 450?

Then why the heck is your title 250f vs 450f?

Why a 450 over a 250f? That's the question you asked, that's the one I answered.

No one "needs" the power and torque of a 450F, however it's a lot of fun to crack the throttle at any rpm and feel the power and acceleration. Makes riding a blast.:busted:

If you are a "cautious" type person, buy the 250F. If you are a "hot-rodder" at heart, buy the 450F.

I don't believe 450F's are a fad. They became popular because of the rules changes, but once I rode one, I'll always have a big bore four stroke in my garage (along with a 250F and eventually a 250T). They all feel different and have different advantages and "fun factors".

I don't ride tracks, only trails. However, every Sat and Sun morning, I have the choice of which bike to ride, and I almost always pull out the 450. Sure, when I first got it, it felt big and heavy and wore me out. However, after a few months of riding it twice a week, I gained more strength and endurance with it and now a 250F feels like a little "toy" pit bike when I first get on it.:busted:

• Like 1

Because a 450 has all that power! Doesnt meen you need to use it all the time? But if you learn to ride it properly! I ride 98 % trails and the 450 is great. Lots of torque and all the power you need to get out of trouble or up hills etc! There not that much heaveir than the 250Fs, Or at least Honda's not!! LOL. I love mine for the trails and wont go back!

ya id say i do 80% trails 20% track but i love the track just as much. i really find the sxf wound out on trails even with the "wild mapping on" but its plenty on the track so its a realllly hard descion for me and i cant have 3 diffrent bikes

you can get 40-42 hp out of a 250f pretty easy. Depends on what kinda of track riding you are doing. If it is local vet type tracks a 450 is just not much fun its to much power. But a 125 or 250 is lots of fun. If you ride bigger tracks with big jumps a 450 is a must. Sandy tracks the 450 is a tractor a 250 is just not enough. I own a yz125 crf250 and a crf450.

When I goto big tracks the 450 is the bike. When I goto the desert to jump single track type jumps the extra torque of the 450 is needed for the last minute roll on power. A modded 250f is the all around choice if I had to own only one bike.

Hard to beat a 250 with revalved suspension , bars, clamps, wheels engine moddes and fresh tires.

I have the most fun screaming the yz125 on a track its light and I can hang on for 10 plus laps. On a 250f or 450f it still hurts after only a few laps of charging.

hope this helps you.

well i have a highly modded 09 kx250f its bored to 270,pc cams,pc valves, race tech suspension "good tire" as mentioned above but feels same as sxf 350 but i can live with it even tho it feels like i want more just scared to have too much more and not be able to grow into it and use it?