Sign in to follow this  

For Mini Motard on a CRF150f are CRF150R forks that much better than CR85?

I've been roadracing since 2005, this past year was my first year endurance racing on a CRF150F motard on a go-cart track and I really like it. I'm limited on engine mods for the class but I wanted to upgrade my shock and front end. I'm in the market to buy as soon as I find something in the classifieds or on ebay. My question is are the 150r forks much better than the CR85 forks? I heard the internals are much better from someone who had them but wanted to hear it from a less partial judge. Also if any of you know of anyone looking to unload of either let me know.

Thanks

Z

Edited by Z_monster

I dunno-- I think they are very similar actually. I had Adam at Settin' Trendz on the phone about something else, and we were discussing a 150R/150F conversion (engine). He told me that no matter what he does to the 150R front end-- he doesn't like the way it feels. I've ridden both, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the 150R front.

If I were you, I'd get the CR85 front revalved or whatever before I'd get a 150R frnt. The 150r front axle is thicker than the 85 axle, so you'd have to re lace your front wheel to a 150R front hub.

My own experience (I race with OMRL when I can) tells me that there isn't much of a difference other than spring rate and valving. Look on both parts breakdowns and compare the pics. They look pretty much the same. On that bike-- the rear shock is the weak link. I have a Hlebo revalve on mine, and it performs alot better. It actually made the front end seem to work better somehow. --L*64

BTW-- I have a 12 inch set of 150R motard wheels for sale if anybody in your club is interested. I tried posting them on the NJMGP site, and somehow it won't let me into the classifieds. I'm friends with the Mazz. His son had/has one of my old Metrakit bikes. I use my 150F as a dirt bike racer rather than as a road racer. But I have countless hours on it, and a 150R in the dirt. --L*64

BTW-- I have a 12 inch set of 150R motard wheels for sale if anybody in your club is interested. I tried posting them on the NJMGP site, and somehow it won't let me into the classifieds. I'm friends with the Mazz. His son had/has one of my old Metrakit bikes. I use my 150F as a dirt bike racer rather than as a road racer. But I have countless hours on it, and a 150R in the dirt. --L*64

how much are you looking to sell those for? I have a R that I have been looking for mini motard wheels for it

Back off thread jacker...:busted:

It is all good, I found a cheap front end from a CR85, I sent that and my rear shock to Hlebo to get setup. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

You should be happy with that setup. I have no idea how, but the Hlebo revalve makes that shock work pretty well. For MX even. I wouldn't bother spending the cash on the 150R front. Hell-- I'd just have kept the stock front. The CR85 front should be more than enough for what you're doing with the bike.

Kazuma- the wheels are in the classifieds on here. They were laced up by Cam Moorehead with heavy duty spokes and Cyclone rims. I was looking to get $500 shipped. PM me if you're interested. ---L*64