Sign in to follow this  

Blowing out pipes?

im looking to get to know how to it. i dent alot of pipes and i have alot of friends that ride. i have heat and compressed air. i guess my main question is what people use to plugg the ends up? how much PSI do you use?

Very little psi, 0-5 but you can experiment, as you evenly heat the crease around the dent the psi will come up as the inside air warms up. I used plumbing test plugs and lots of precaution. Much depends on the size of the pipe and if the pipe is bent.

Best method I found on bad ones is a cardboard box. Put the pipe in it and send to pacific pipe repair.

I bought a couple bearing splitters like this:

41l59bXHfjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg&sa=X&ei=2Yu8TpqCEoP20gH3uaT5BA&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEqc_CboN7lKP3jW6i1-s3m4tnRnA

I use a bearing splitter about the same size as the pipe, and clamp it on so the lip on the end of the pipe prevents it from slipping off. Then I took flat plates and drilled holes in them that line up with the bearing splitter. Using a piece of rubber as a gasket I bolt the flat plate to the bearing splitter so it seals off the end of the pipe. On one of the flat plates I added an air fitting.

This gives you a very secure plug on either end. I use an air regulator to put about 30-35 psi in the pipe and then heat it up with a torch.

There was a company that made a quality one athat would setscrew and endclamp around the steps at both ends, it worked mint and the design made it safer from blowoffs, splitting was the only concern. The pipes would occasionally spring a leak if the dent had a nice gouge from the offending attacker (welding then is real fun it you are a rookie at welding, like I was). I've done over 50 of them,and in my experience 0-5 psi wouldn't remove the easiest dents from the thinnest pipes. This tool had a gauge built in around the shroeder valve, but you had to bleed it off manually to keep pressure in check as the airtemp spiked. 50 psi was the starting point to get anything done. I'd primarily use mapgas but stubborn ones could get heated better with the oxy-acetylyne and the rosebud tip. The gauge and instructions said don't exceed either 100 or 120 psi. I'll see if I still have it at the shop, it sees vertually NO use anymore. Snap a pic or something it would be pretty easy to fab up and wourked really well.:busted: Maybe the still sell them and it isn't worth the hassle?!

We use machined plugs at each end of the pipe. One end had an air fitting and this plug is "fixed" to not come out. The other plug we fasten with springs so if the internal pressure gets too high, the spring plug will release. We had to experiment with spring pressure at first but we eventually found what was needed. As far as air pressure, we use around 30-40 psi depending on the size of the dent. We use a "rosebud" tip to heat the pipe.

For two strokes, I use a film canister on the stinger and a plug on the header end with J bolts connecting to the spring hooks. I use approx 40-50psi on aftermarket pipes, a little less on stock ones. I like to use a cutting tip on o/a setup so I can focus on a small area.