Sign in to follow this  

What's up with Michelins size chart?

On rocky or motosport when you choose a tire it has a size chart for Michelin tires. Like, 120/80/19 = 130/70/19. Jus curious in case I decide to go with a starcross. Wouldn't want some weird size......

Cody, dont quote me on the exact numbers,but yes you are right, michelin 120 is close to a 100 in most other brands. Why miichelin is so far differnt is a mystery. Maybe they use a difernt part of the tire to measure across. All tire brands are not quite the same size, say a 110/90of one brand may be taller than a 110/90 of another by a little. But michelin goes too far, lol.

Michelin measures to the farthest point of the tire. Other brands measure to the distance of the carcas (which makes sence since if your trying to match it to the width of a particular rim....then again what width tire you run on your bike has more to do with the power of the machine typically...I think this is why michelin measures the way they do) make sense?So there sizing is different then all the other manufactures. 120=s 100...130=s 110, and 140=s 120. I worked at a bike shop for about eight years and always hated trying to explain why the customer who didnt want help bought the wrong tire.

One curveball though, I don't believe the starcross series tires use the odd sizing. For the M12 and S12's I used to run I would buy weird sizes, but every starcross I've used has been the normal 100/90-19 or 110/90-19 like other brands.

I run a M12 now on the rear they recomend 110 for a 450 but when i bought the M12 my parts guy gave me a 120 but its about the right size that it should be .. No Complaints

Bryan, so if I ordered a 120/80 they would actually send me 100/90? Sorry somethin so simple is confusing me.

They will send you 120/80. I bought one once on e-bay expecting a tire for my 450. A tire for a 125 is what I received!

S12, M12, H12 are like this, MS3 and MH3 are normal (I think).

It is strange. Like mentioned the Starcross series (MS3/MH3) are the same. So if you use a 100/90 go with the 100/90. If you use a 120/80 you would go with the 110/90 as they do not make a 120/80 :busted: