Sign in to follow this  

2011 450sx-f help, please

Ok, I've tried to search for answers on here and either nobody's had the same issue as me or I'm an idiot. Either way, I'd appreciate some help. I'm pretty much a 2 stroke guy... have had a couple CRF's and an RMZ's, but I really don't know $#!+ about 4 strokes.

I just picked up a leftover 2011 450sx-f. I babied it around for approx 90 min before racing a hare scrambles on Sunday. I rode on an mx track in anger for the first time yesterday and the bike was great. I rode again today and the temperature dropped a bit and I noticed the bike developed a bog. Off idle seems normal, but then when I go to roll the throttle through the meat of the power the engine chokes. If/when it pulls through, the power is not all there on top.

Is this what 4-strokes feel like when lean? Also, how do I know when there's too much noise coming from the engine. I noticed while riding mx (reving the bike a lot harder) there's noise coming from the engine when I get off the throttle. Just seems weird to my 2 stroke oriented mind.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

What is your elevation ??

Try turning the FUEL screw out 1/4 turn and see if the bog gets better , keep going until the bog stops , the change in temp will affect the jetting , but if its jetted properly for your elevation the fuel screw should get you close enough , Fuel Screw: Out = Richer , IN = Leaner

If you have to go more than 3+ turns out from all the way in , the jetting is too lean , if you have to go less than 1 turn from all the way in , the jetting is too rich (its opposite of a 2 stroke AIR screw)

The Fuel screw is at the very bottom of the float bowl up in a recess , you might need to loosen the carb clamps (Intake,Airbox) so you can twist the carb as the starter is kinda in the way to get a screwdriver in

and 4 strokes are generally louder than 2 strokes , because of all the moving parts inside , as long as your oil is up and all , and it does not sound a lot louder than it did before , you should be fine !

Dont let it sit there and idle for 5 minutes either , 4 strokes heat up a lot more than 2 strokes because of the lack of oil in the fuel cooling the cylinder down