Sign in to follow this  

2002 CR250 Cylinder

So I bought an 02 CR250 with a blown top end. The piston lost the ring and scraped up the walls and chamfers for the intake/exhaust ports pretty good. Local shop says they will send it out to re nikasil it for 220-230. I'm just wondering if there are any other cheap options as this is a budget rebuild. I already have a stock size piston, wristpin, gaskets for it. Crank seems to be fine. Better yet, if anybody has a 2002-2004 cylnder with power valve that you're willing to sell let me know. I appreciate any help!

good chance your local shop would be sending it to millenium. i would ask where theyre sending it though. plan on approx $250 for the replate and round trip shipping. if it needs welding might be alittle more. millenium claims they can replate without a piston but i would send one anyways. that way they have no excuse if something turns out wrong. double check all clearances when you get the parts back

Ya, I am actually watching a cylinder, powervalve, piston assembly on ebay. May be able to score that for 240 and then I can maybe sell the piston I've got for 100 and get like 40-50 bucks for my damaged cylinder and then I won't be in the hole too bad. I bought the bike for 500 bucks because it needed the top end and the plastics were all spray painted black and cracked with the old Fleshwound stickers all over it. haha. spent 100 on plastics and hopefully no more than 300 on this top end rebuild and it'll be a nice sub $1000 cr250. I'll have to post some before after pics later.

used plated cylinders are a huge gamble. if the seller can provide concrete proof its still within spec then your good but if it too needs replate then your financially in way too deep. plus theres no telling if the powervalves are shot. could be lookin at $500+. not sure im reading it correct but im seeing $382 for brandnew jug and powervalves from service honda. #16 on the cylinder microfishe. check it out

check these guys out. http://www.racerstoystore.com/ I dont know if they are any good, but i sent them a really crappy looking cylinder monday. they said they could repair and replate it, but recommended a sleeve as being a better option. they know more about it than i do, so i am trusting them with a sleeve job for 250. They said it would be returned to me at factory specs ready to install...

I had the same choice last year. I shopped around online but ended up getting a brand new 2003 cylinder from a local Honda dealer for $290. I had to use my old power valve. Shop around. You might be suprised by local shops if they are willing to work with you.

check these guys out. http://www.racerstoystore.com/ I dont know if they are any good, but i sent them a really crappy looking cylinder monday. they said they could repair and replate it, but recommended a sleeve as being a better option. they know more about it than i do, so i am trusting them with a sleeve job for 250. They said it would be returned to me at factory specs ready to install...

Cylinder sleeves aren't the best option.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014785&highlight=

yeah, I know. I would much rather have a plated cylinder, but I couldnt find a new cylinder at a good price. I took my top end apart and took the cylinder to my local shop. They said they could not repair my cylinder, but offered to sleeve it for $675 (with a new top end kit). They also quoted me a price of $711 for a new cylinder and top end kit. This is supposed to be a budget bike, so I could not afford those prices. I talked to the guys at racerstoystore.com on the phone, and they convinced me that they knew what they were doing, so i sent it to them hoping it could be repaired and recoated. apparently it cant. But at least i will have a 94 cr250 with good plastics, good tires, new brakes, a water pump rebuild, and a new topend, for only $850 when i get done.

your local shop is trying to screw you, which is what most shops do best, screw people. replate is $250 and if it need welding i doubt you be more than $50 extra. or could buy new jug and powervalves for $400 and new piston and gaskets for $150

your local shop is trying to screw you, which is what most shops do best, screw people. replate is $250 and if it need welding i doubt you be more than $50 extra. or could buy new jug and powervalves for $400 and new piston and gaskets for $150

Exactly. Very few of the fools at the shop do this job. Cut out the middleman and deal directly with Millennium Technologies. My jug was absolutely DESTROYED and they fixed it up good for $249. It's the best option and they say their plating is better than OEM.

If you haven't already sent it off, kindly redirect it to either Millenium or Langcourt http://www.langcourt.com/page6.html

Ya, this is kinda just a winter project for me. I already have a KTM 300xc and just came across this CR being sold locally so I jumped on it just to fix and sell come springtime. A little scary at first since half the bike was already disassembled and in big box. Haha. Not a seller's market here in the winter since all the trails are covered in snow from about now until later march at the soonest. I find it a good time to buy, fix, and then sell once it warms up. The bike is starting to look pretty nice now though with brand new plastics, graphics, seat cover, polished frame, etc. Only thing holding me up is this cylinder. I've heard the same about sleeves that it really messes up the cooling properties and not nearly as durable even though you are able to bore it. Definitely looking for a deal on a used non-sleeved cylinder with the cross-hatches still visible. I'm getting anxious to wrap this up!

If you haven't already sent it off, kindly redirect it to either Millenium or Langcourt http://www.langcourt.com/page6.html

Unfortunately, I have already sent it off and ok'ed the work to be done. At this point I am not worrying about that anymore. But I have found another cylinder that is ib good enough shape to replate, I plan on keeping it around as a spare. But honestly, I dont think I will keep the bike long enough to need it....

I just went through this same scenario. $500 for an '02 CR250 with a pooched piston/cylinder. Bought a new Pro-x piston and sent it along with the cylinder to Powerseal in PA. They welded the damage, replated the cylinder, and diamond honed it to match my new piston. $249 with shipping. The cylinder literally looks like a new unit. The only pain in the rear was removing the studs and powervalve before sending it in. It needs to be bare and they charge extra to remove those items. I looked at US Chrome and Millenium, but I'm in Maine and Powerseal was a lot closer. Just finished putting it together last night. Fired first kick! Woohoo!

I just got the bike all put together and... no freakin spark. I have gone over all the wiring, disconnected the kill switch, inspected the stator/pulse generator and everything physically seems to be good. I blew out all the plug connectors and they look good too. I have no service manual so I don't know what voltages/ohms I need to be getting from everything. I even threw on a different coil since those are most often the culprit. There is absolutely no spark. I just don't understand what could have gotten messed up since the bike was obviously running when the top end blew. Is there a ground wire I'm possibly missing? Thanks for all the help!

Very funny. You've gotta pick your poison sometimes. New coil costs 45 whereas the service manual is 55. Seemed like the most practical option to me. Remember I'm not lookin to keep this bike either. Thanks for the positive feedback though :lol: