Sign in to follow this  

The Nighthawk TRX650EX Drag Quad

Thats right. Its a 1982 Honda CB650SC nighthawk 4 cylinder motorcycle with the swingarm replaced with a swingarm from a 300ex, and the forks taken off and the front steering system from a 300ex welding and bolted on secure and straight. Straight pipes for the exhaust, stock intake and carbs. ITP holeshot rear tires (40% tread) and stockers on the front (30% tread). Runs and is getting gas after a carb clean. Needs plugs, they are fouled but the wiring is all done. Now, I do have one question. The front sprocket is a size 530 chain, the rear sprocket chain size is 520. Now, there is a little slop side to side on the rear sprocket when the chain is hooked up. If I have a few millimeters side to side play, is there a huge chance that the chain will fly off and kill me or something? Do i really have to worry about the chain that much? Thanks guys

So the chain is wider than the rear sprocket now. If the sprockets are aligned, and spinning in the same plane, I don't think the chain will fly off. You should be ok. You could put on a bottom chain guide like a dirt bike. The chain feeds onto the sprocket on the bottom, assuming you are going forward, and a guide will keep it from bouncing around as much, and centered on the sprocket. Its an added level of safety.

I wonder about the chain pins being supported less. They will have a little more bending stress. Not sure if its enough to matter.