Sign in to follow this  

Is chain size that important?

On my custom engine project the front sprocket is a size 530 chain, the rear sprocket chain size is 520. Now, there is a little slop side to side on the rear sprocket when the chain is hooked up because of the slight size difference. If I have a few millimeters side to side play, is there a huge chance that the chain will fly off and kill me or something? Do i really have to worry about the chain that much? Thanks guys

If you're building a custom bike wouldn't the logical thing to do be matching sprockets?

If you're building a custom bike wouldn't the logical thing to do be matching sprockets?

I don't know if you ever tried to mount a 5 bolt motorcycle sprocket on a 4 bolt 300ex sprocket hub, but its really damn hard to get it centered. I'm a backyard fabricator, not jesus :bonk::busted: :busted:

Its definitely not optimal and could cause not only excessive chain and sprocket wear but increase the chances of the chain breaking. I hope you are kidding about putting a 5 bolt gear on a 4 bolt hub!

Its definitely not optimal and could cause not only excessive chain and sprocket wear but increase the chances of the chain breaking. I hope you are kidding about putting a 5 bolt gear on a 4 bolt hub!

I know, I was joking. He was saying to why not have the same size sprockets as far as the chain goes, and a 530 size chain is a motorcycle sprocket and last time I checked, motorcycles have a 5 bolt pattern. I don't know where I can find a rear sprocket with a 4 bolt pattern 130 millimeters across that takes a 530 chain. BTW the rear sprocket hub is from a 300ex. The front sprocket is on a CB650SC Nighthawk engine. I am worried about chain slop side to side, but I dont know if its enough to really worry about.

Side to side play won't be a factor as long as they are aligned properly, it should center itself.

I have a 520 chain on my LT-R450 and a Sidewinder TiMoly (titanium/Chromoly) sprocket in the rear. It's about 70% the width of the factory sprocket, much stronger and considerably lighter. It tracks in the center all the time. Never have seen any wear marks to indicate it would or has shifted side to side at all.

quad081.jpg

Just to stress it's importance I'll mention one more time; Alignment is critical

Edited by f800strider

Side to side play won't be a factor as long as they are aligned properly, it should center itself.

I have a 520 chain on my LT-R450 and a Sidewinder TiMoly (titanium/Chromoly) sprocket in the rear. It's about 70% the width of the factory sprocket, much stronger and considerably lighter. It tracks in the center all the time. Never have seen any wear marks to indicate it would or has shifted side to side at all.

attachment.php?attachmentid=229&stc=1&d=1181430290

Just to stress it's importance I'll mention one more time; Alignment is critical

Thank you for your straight, to the point answer. My sprockets are aligned perfectly, and I think I will give this a shot tomorrow. I will have a ride report by monday and let you guys know if I had any issues. First things first is replacing the spark plug so it will run right

Guys, with the cost of 530 chain being 130$ I am going to get two custom 520 size sprockets made for the front and rear, most likely 16 tooth front, 51 tooth rear. the rear tires are either 18 or 20 inch, I believe they are 20 inch shredders. Does that sound like a decent gear ratio to get me moving pretty quick and still have good low end power? I believe the stock for a nighthawk was 16 front 38 rear with motorcycle size tires and the bike got up to about 150 mph.