Sign in to follow this  

Please Help. Submerged my bike / oil question

So the other day i was riding and i submerged my wr250f in a creek to deep to be crossed. I kicked the water out and replaced the air filter / oil filter / oil / and spark plug. The oil was creamy colored (hence the water/oil mixed) but after replacing the oil with fresh oil, it was still very creamy colored and upon giving the bike gas, it dies everytime. It idles great. How many times do i need to run fresh oil in it to get out the water? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

You may want to flush engine with 90 proof Rubbing Alcohol

the alcohol binds with the water and makes it easier to drain out-- dont run the engine with the alcohol in it just kick it threw and lay it down and shake around ect -

as a final flush if you are still have some water mix some pure alcohol (small amount) with some oil and run engine for a short time and drain out the oil --

Clean out the water in the carb and fuel tank too. Don't know how deep you got it but if it got up to the vent lines it's possible it got in your carb.

Keep flushing with oil or ,diesel then oil, until all water is gone.

i feel like I need to add my 2 cents worth, not directlyrelated to the subject though.

I have just 2 weeks ago bought a 2003 yz250f here in new Zealand.

We had a planned trail ride over some river crossings and farm land and halfway was a pub stop for a beer.

Long story short. My bike broke a clutch cable in the carpark 20 feet into the trail, so off home i go with tail between my legs.

A text to other 4 riders was not answered until 7 hours later.

Turns out that the river was too deep after rain this week and all 4 bikes got drowned, XR200, DR350, XR400 and CRF250.

Only the CRF was left going at the end of the day without probs.

Trail was meant to end at 1pm, and i got the return text at 6pm, because they were all pushing the bikes back to the car park over 3 rivers and forest tracks..not enough tools taken to the bikes to empty the water etc..:busted:

All riders gutted and tired apart from me, as i was home having a beer.

Moral of the story,if you are doing a river crossing trail, either make sure your clutch cable is poked, or check the water level...HEHE.

another small input...apparently all the friends who drowned their bikes today had the same prob where the bike will idle but no rev...can only assume water has got into the carb etc??

Also if trouble persists pull the cover on the left side and inspect the magneto. Chances are that it's fine but something to look at

The correct way is to flush with diesel or similar before starting and then do several oil changes. If the water was really dirty with suspended sand you might never get it all out. I have a friend with a 6 month old KTM that fell over in a deep creek crossing. He had the bike towed back and then flushed it out. Being a new bike he broke down and had it taken apart without ever starting it. There was still a significant amount of sand in the motor but he saved it. I think I would have taken the top end off and the motor out and flushed it with twenty gallons of diesel before spending the $1,700 that he did. He was in the points chase and had to have it back together the next weekend.

I had trouble with water still in the exhaust once with a drowned bike, that allowd the bike to idle but could not get enough gas out when the throttle was opened so engine died. a small amount of water in the oil should evaporate off when the engine heats up. but inlet tract needs to be cleaned well.

thanks for all the replies! ive flushed the oil once more and am about to do it again.. it wont start though now so im going to check the inlet tract! thanks again i really appreciate it!

God Bless