Sign in to follow this  

Do I seriously have an FCR question?

So I just finished my big bore rebuild and everything is working great except I'm having the worst time getting the airbox side to seal up on the carb. I tried it every way possible and its driving me insane. Would the E airboot make this an easier fit? (I got the FCRmx through Eddie) I recall it being a hassle before, but this time around seems way more difficult.

You and me both. I ended up taking the airbox out, attaching it and putting it back in. Even with the carb and airbox out it was still a pain in the ass.

Would love to hear how people do it since the FCR seems too big for the airbox and it's a tight fit. I dread taking my carb out.

so what i have done is take clamp off the air boxand by pushing on the side wall of air box it will "flex" the opening around a bit,enough to get bell started and at that point you can muscle it around without damage.i have also put carb in airbox first without head side manifold in place and you have to really have to push it back far enough to get rubber in but can be done without damage,one person,i will say it is alot easier in the 2nd opt. to have second set of hands to place manifold in place.hope this helps ed

put the bike on a stand. you can take the sub frame bolt out, and tip the sub frame back. that will give you an inch or so. get the "E" boot for the fcr carb?

I think there is a different E air intake that may be longer? The funnel from the airbox to the intake side of the carb, I thought it might be longer as it seems like mine on my SM is about 1/8th of an inch too short.

Place the carb in the air boot first, tighten the clamp, then pull carb forward and seat in the head manifold, tighten clamp.

Some folks find it easier to unbolt the bottom of the sub frame and rotate it up.. Never liked or needed that method, but some swear by it.

well i have to say ive never put an fcr on a sm,but 2 e's and 2 s's i have done,the air boots are the same and they will fit,there is enough flex in the air boot to get it in the fully seated position and clamp it down and won't move.i sold one s but have the other 3 and have never had a problem with them slipping. it may work better for you to clamp it to air boot ist then you have more to get ahold of to seat in to manifold or do what kawgod did and do the subframe,its only 2 bolts,ive just never had to do that.

Maybe it's too cold out where you're at. I wouldn't pull the carbs off my GS1100 this time of year, it was impossible to get all 4 of them back onto the airbox if things weren't nice and warm.

Steve

Not likely... she is 7,000 miles away.. Im not "That Big" as to be able to test your theory and or her response.

In which case, it will be don't come knocking if the ...........................................

When you get home:thumbsup:

So I just finished my big bore rebuild and everything is working great except I'm having the worst time getting the airbox side to seal up on the carb. I tried it every way possible and its driving me insane. Would the E airboot make this an easier fit? (I got the FCRmx through Eddie) I recall it being a hassle before, but this time around seems way more difficult.

Yes..they can be a bitch when it's cold / their old or your inexperienced ...

Eric's suggested method is the way I do it...

But if your still having having trouble you could remove you top sub frame bolt , just loosen the lowers and move it rearward a little ..