Sign in to follow this  

HELP!!! Looking at joining the 450X club, but have a few questions.

Hi, I am looking at buying an 07 CRF450X that has several aftermarket parts, full Yoshi exhaust, IMS 3.2 tank, alum skid plate & radiator guards & a few other things.

So, what do I need to know about turning this baby into a supermoto aka street tard?

What is the stock numbers for the 450X, hp & torque? that I can expect.

I assume in stock form it has a rev limiter, right?

In stock form does it have a odometer or an hour counter so to know when it is time to change the oil and perform normal maintenance?

What are the normal issues with the CRF that I should know about?

Someone mentioned swapping the stock piston/rings with a TRX that has 3 rings and swapping the stock valves with stainless steel ones to improve the oil consumption. Is this really necessary? And would you lose power by doing this?

How difficult will it be to add the Trail Tech speedo/tacho on it?

How difficult will it be to add turn signals to it?

Also, where can I get those sweet small round mirrors that attach directly to the handlebar?

What should I expect for insurance costs of this bike?

Lastly, is there a good teeth count for the most fun/power out of the 450X, like 15 up front and blah blah at the back, for supermotoing?

Thanks for your time.

Soon to be a Red Hooligan. :busted:

Hi, I am looking at buying an 07 CRF450X that has several aftermarket parts, full Yoshi exhaust, IMS 3.2 tank, alum skid plate & radiator guards & a few other things.

So, what do I need to know about turning this baby into a supermoto aka street tard? MONEY

http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-Conversion-Kit-Quick-Switch-p/kit-qwik.htm

What is the stock numbers for the 450X, hp & torque? that I can expect.

42/38

I assume in stock form it has a rev limiter, right?

YES

In stock form does it have a odometer or an hour counter so to know when it is time to change the oil and perform normal maintenance?

NO

What are the normal issues with the CRF that I should know about?

NORMAL MAINTENENCE. You'll have to read more to find out what issues you might want to avoid

Someone mentioned swapping the stock piston/rings with a TRX that has 3 rings and swapping the stock valves with stainless steel ones to improve the oil consumption. Is this really necessary? NO UNLESS YOU BURN LOTS OF MILES And would you lose power by doing this? NOT POWER, BUT RPM RISE TIME

How difficult will it be to add the Trail Tech speedo/tacho on it? EASY

How difficult will it be to add turn signals to it? BAJA DESIGNS

Also, where can I get those sweet small round mirrors that attach directly to the handlebar? GO TO GOOGLE

What should I expect for insurance costs of this bike?100-500 DEPENDING ON YOUR RECORD

Lastly, is there a good teeth count for the most fun/power out of the 450X, like 15 up front and blah blah at the back, for supermotoing?

Thanks for your time.

Soon to be a Red Hooligan. :busted:

All of those questions are answered in the sticky's at the top of the forum.

What is SuperMotoJunkie? I will need to check that out.

How many miles do you put on your 450X supermoto between maintenance?

What size of supermoto rims would I need for a 450X?

Oh, one other question, what tires would be good for a converted CRF450X? Shinko's, Metzlers, ?

Thanks to all.

What is SuperMotoJunkie? I will need to check that out.

How many miles do you put on your 450X supermoto between maintenance?

What size of supermoto rims would I need for a 450X?

Oh, one other question, what tires would be good for a converted CRF450X? Shinko's, Metzlers, ?

Thanks to all.

There's a guy on supermotojunkie.com with the same name as you asking a ton of questions about bikes - which is fine, just figured you were the same guy.

Maintenance wise, well I change my engine oil and filter every two weeks, and transmission oil once a month. That's with about 5k miles a year. I didn't have issues with my valves initially, but I went ahead and had them done with the steel TRX intake valves. They haven't budged since. I also did the TRX piston because mine was consuming a lot of oil, but it's not like it's a required thing. I bought the bike used and basically wanted to refresh everything.

Wheel size 17x3.5 up front and I would recommend a 4.25 in the back. I know people get by with 5" rears, but that's pretty tight and you'll probably get a lot of chain rub. For tires, I've been through many sets of the Contiforce SM tires and like them fine, but there are plenty of good options. You'll want a 150 rear with a 4.25" rim.

elan,

No biggie. They say there are alot of Bob's out there. Very strange though having the same forum name. I can see why you would think that.

Thanks for answer my questions though.

Just a few last questions...for now.

I am just hoping I didn't make a mistake with this 450X. The guy is the second owner but probably would consider him the first, due to the fact his friend who bought it brand new from the dealer years back, only rode it 1 summer and sold it to him. Guess it was a little too much for his friend.

So, he has maintained it with a local dealership for all the major maintenance, but has done his own oil/tranny changes.

The bike has the full Yoshi exhaust system, alum skid plate & radiator guards & aftermarket air filter, new sprockets & chain & tires look brand new (dirt tires).

The plastics are pretty scratched up, but it is a dirtbike, what do you expect.

I know I have several things to do to make this streetable and legal on the street.

Here is my list as of now:

1) Trail Tech Speedo/Tacho

2) Mirror(s)

3) Maybe an hour meter (since the manual mentions oil chainges in hours not miles)

4) Turn signals (maybe)

5) Rims / tires

6) Big Brake kit (with relocator - I think I need that)

7) SS brake lines

Not sure if I am missing anything else for now.

The bike is actually an 05' not an 07' like I thought. Did that year model have this same issue of blowby that requires stainless steel valves & TRX piston that you mentioned, if it is going to be mostly on the road?

Oh, I have read that I should look at changing the gearing on the 450X if I am going to street it. What do you recommend for this?

What rim brand do you recommend? (DNA, Excel, Warp 9, etc.)

Thanks again to all for everything.

Don't see how you could make a mistake. As long as the bottom end and tranny are in good shape, everything else is pretty cheap and easy to fix if there are any issues. The bike is a blast, especially if you're able to get it street legal!

elan,

Here is my list as of now:

1) Trail Tech Speedo/Tacho - vapor is awesome

2) Mirror(s) - I have a cheap ebay bar end mirror, works great

3) Maybe an hour meter (since the manual mentions oil chainges in hours not miles) - don't need with the vapor. Keeps track of hours and miles

4) Turn signals (maybe) - depends on your state

5) Rims / tires - excel/talon is the standard, but there are plenty of good options. I'm happy with my DNAs for the price I paid. Warp 9s are a good price and come with sprocket and rotors, but they're not floating rotors.

6) Big Brake kit (with relocator - I think I need that) - yep!

7) SS brake lines - would help

Also, you'll want a better tail light, I recommend the DRC Edge. They make two I think, and Edge and an Edge 2. One has a metal mounting base, and the other has a plastic. YOu'll want the plastic mounting base to mount to the rear fender. Works great and looks good. You'll need a pressure switch to active the brakes as well. One on the front is fine. You can buy "street legal" kits that have all this, but you could probably build a kit for much cheaper if you have some 12VDC electrical experience.

Not sure if I am missing anything else for now.

The bike is actually an 05' not an 07' like I thought. Did that year model have this same issue of blowby that requires stainless steel valves & TRX piston that you mentioned, if it is going to be mostly on the road? - nah, same top end throughout the years other than the new decompression mechanism in 08 - and there's really no issue with blowby, it's probably more to do with how the bike was broken in where some people are having issues

I forget what what year they changed something in the gearbox for the better, but ALWAYS run a full quart in your tranny.

Oh, I have read that I should look at changing the gearing on the 450X if I am going to street it. What do you recommend for this? - something around a 3:1 ratio should put you in the ballpark of fun and practical. I run a 15/44

elan,

Thanks again for all the great info, now I have a direction to go with my build.

One last, probably silly question, but since I have never owned a dirt bike before, what stand or jack should I invest in for storing my 450X for the winter months here in Ohio? (Of course it will be stored in my garage for the winter.)

Thanks again.

elan,

Thanks again for all the great info, now I have a direction to go with my build.

One last, probably silly question, but since I have never owned a dirt bike before, what stand or jack should I invest in for storing my 450X for the winter months here in Ohio? (Of course it will be stored in my garage for the winter.)

Thanks again.

Winter? What's that? :-D

I don't know what it's like to store a bike for the winter, but for jacks, I have one of those big heavy atv scissor type jacks. Think they have them at harbor freight for <$100. They're very stable and great for working on the bike in the garage, but they do take up a lot of room.

I would like to own one of those small lightweight trackside jacks, but I've never actually tried one. You could probably just get creative and build one out of wood if you wanted. I'm sure a search on here would find some creative ideas.

Just be sure you have the carb empty before storing!