Sign in to follow this  

what bike for enduro races and harescrambers???

alright i have got an 06 crf250r and an 03 cr250r... i am very comfortable on both bikes and the crf250r seems to lack power at times, well for me anyways.. anyways which one of these bikes would be better for enduor and harescramblers? i also have an offer to trade my crf250r for an 05 yz250 fully set up for trails.. i am also considering getting a ktm250xc or xcw for the enduro and harescramblers.. so my question is should i use my 06 crf250r, my 03 cr250r, a 05 yz250, or a ktm250xc/xcw?? please can sombody let me know which of these bikes would be best for the harescramblers and enduro riding, also i wil be able to do mods to make these bikes fit for trails... for anyone of these bikes.. and i am an intermediate trail rider, 16 years old, 140 pounds 5'11

I would go for the KTM 250/300 XC/XC-W if i was you. They're great bikes and are dominating the Offroad/harescramble scene and its for a reason, They're perfect for it! Its just a question of weather you (being 16) has the cash to buy one. Im 15 and i wish i had the money to get one! I would say go for the YZ but its a yamaha. But thats just me. Its a good option if the money isnt there.

The xcw has open chamber forks which are all but useless for harescramble without loads of work!

The xc has closed cartridge which will cope with harescramble better,

I have had both and did not like either, and settled for a yz 250t with fww and wr box, and rekluse

how does the crf250r do as an enduro bike? just wondering

It would be OK if you did a little work to it. I think your CR would work better. The CRF would be my last choice to use out of the options you have. One kid i know tryed to do harescrambles on a CRF 250R and eventually got fed up with it and guess what he bought? A KTM 250 XC.

Alright thanks. Ya im debating between the ktm250xc and keeping my crf250r.

Why not consider a GasGas or Husky 250/300 they are both excellent woods bikes? IMHO nothihg turns better in the woods than a GG.

you have mentioned older bikes. If you get a KTM would it be new. If the KTM is older than say 08 I Would get the YZ or use your CR.

Most people hate 250F's for harescrambles. I like my YZ250F just fine and I get hole shot often. It is mainly due to the fact that I race C class and they aren't good at starts. You can start way better on a 2 stroke if you know the trick. It is common knowledge but seams many have forgotten with all the fourstrokes out there. On a two stroke start your bike and warm it up then put it in second gear. When you shut it off leave it in second and don't let out the clutch. Then when they sound the horn as you startkicking the bike start slipping the clutch with the kick. The bike will rocket out of the start and you should beat every 4 stroke unless the guy is really really good at starts.

The biggest thing to consider with your CRF is the start. It will be a dead engine start can you kick it once and go quickly. CRF250's are known hard starters.

So if you can get a new KTM get either a 300XC or a 250XC then if that isn't going to work pick which ever 250T you like ( Personally like YZ's better than CR's) then last use your CRF but get the jetting dialed in. Keep in mind in any race a good start makes it soo much easier. If you have never raced harescrambles you will start in the C class and there are a bunch of guy's that really can't ride that good and cause bottle necks. A good start can help miss that unless the class before you is stuck. Have fun and let us know when you do your first harescramble. I love them even though I have only done a few.

As mentioned above There are pleanty of other brand to consider too. Most of us stick with the main 5 but that is only because they have been more successful marketing to us. Good Luck and have fun.

alright, well i would buy a ktm250 or 300 but currently there are none around here for sale. so unless i find a ktm then i am either going to use my crf250r, or my cr250r for trails.. or i can trade my crf250r for a 05 yz250 2 stroke, which has a wr tranny in it, gnarly pipe, revalved suspension and some other trail mods.. what do you guys think? crf250r, yz250 or cr250?

Personally I'm not much for buying used bikes that have been altered much like the YZ you are talking about. So... of the three you list I would convert the CR250 (2-stroke) and use it over the CRF or YZ. A friend has a 2001 CR and with jetting you can mellow out the hit and it's not too bad in the woods. A rekluse would also help tame it; worked wonders on my 2007 CRF450. Good luck.

His Cr is an 03 and that motor is mellow compared to the 01. I wouldn't worry about taming it down. I tend to agree about heavily modded used bikes unless you know the guy that did the work. I know a couple guy's I wouldn't mind if they did the work but most people shouldn't get in to a transmission work beyond the clutch anyway. If the trasmission was done right that YZ might be a great bike. How much history do you have on the mechanic that put the WR tranny in it.

The xcw has open chamber forks which are all but useless for harescramble without loads of work!

This is not even being close to true....

The xc has closed cartridge which will cope with harescramble better,

The closed cartridge are not as supple as the open cartridge.I have had both and did not like either, and settled for a yz 250t with fww and wr box, and rekluse

The YZ is a great bike and can be made into anything BUT, they dont come in a 6 speed, they dont have electric start, and they dont come with a larger fuel tank. You can add only one of these items. I raced my 08 YZ in Harescramble, you will need to do a revalve for the woods. It has a awesome chassis, great suspension (though I give the nod to my 2012 XC now) and has a great motor.

Im back on orange this year after a 2 year hiatus. The 2012 250xc's are awesome this year. The new linkage makes the bike way more versitile.

2012KTM250xc006.jpg

Sweet looking bike how do the new ktm's turn in the tight stuff?

Sweet looking bike how do the new ktm's turn in the tight stuff?

Ugggg, still a KTM! I had a little pucker moment yesterday, I just couldnt get the bike around on a down hill hairpin, I was able to rideoutof it though. I try to keep a pretty neutral balance in my setup but I might have to play around a bit to get a better turning bike.

alright, well i would buy a ktm250 or 300 but currently there are none around here for sale. so unless i find a ktm then i am either going to use my crf250r, or my cr250r for trails.. or i can trade my crf250r for a 05 yz250 2 stroke, which has a wr tranny in it, gnarly pipe, revalved suspension and some other trail mods.. what do you guys think? crf250r, yz250 or cr250?

I have a 09 KTM 300 with a boat load of goodies, cost you about $5000obo.

ya so i would buy a ktm250 xc or xcw if there were any, but there arnt... sort of sucks... but would you guys say i should use one of my bikes, crf250r or a cr250r.. or should i take somone up on a trade and trade my crf250r for a 05 yz250 which is all set up for trails.

and thats the thing, i cant really afford a $5000 bike... so its either one of mine or this yz