Sign in to follow this  

Broken Ribs

Dr Mark, I had a fall on 10-10-11 on my left side, broke 9 ribs, fluid in the lung and 2 chest tubes, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. They had me up walking the next day, and every day since. Its now 4 weeks and I'm back at a desk job part time. Thorascic says healing fine, watch for being fatigued. Orthopedic says shoulder is OK and I start therapy next week, let pain be limiting factor. I'm stretching by hanging from a pullup bar in the doorway and I'm not hanging my full weight, just pushing up slightly with my feet.

Question, 8 weeks should have the ribs healed, what about the soft tissue and chest muscles? Should I be deep breathing and continuing walking or move up to something else? This is a pretty serious injury for a 55yo guy and I'm healing nicely but slowly. Still takes 2 cups of coffee, Tylenol and a hot shower in the morning to get going. Should I be looking at a 3 month or 6 month recovery period before getting back into riding?

Dr Mark, I had a fall on 10-10-11 on my left side, broke 9 ribs, fluid in the lung and 2 chest tubes, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. They had me up walking the next day, and every day since. Its now 4 weeks and I'm back at a desk job part time. Thorascic says healing fine, watch for being fatigued. Orthopedic says shoulder is OK and I start therapy next week, let pain be limiting factor. I'm stretching by hanging from a pullup bar in the doorway and I'm not hanging my full weight, just pushing up slightly with my feet.

Question, 8 weeks should have the ribs healed, what about the soft tissue and chest muscles? Should I be deep breathing and continuing walking or move up to something else? This is a pretty serious injury for a 55yo guy and I'm healing nicely but slowly. Still takes 2 cups of coffee, Tylenol and a hot shower in the morning to get going. Should I be looking at a 3 month or 6 month recovery period before getting back into riding?

HA HA, thats my morning ritual when I feel good! Back in July I did half the damaged to myself that you did. I can say from experience, that at 8 weeks, I may have felt fine but my conditioning had fallen off considerably. I had all I could do to mow the lawn. That let pain be your guide thing has some merit. About 12 weeks I was ready to ride again, so much so, I got another bike. Good luck and heal quick.

I fell on saturday in a race and I suspect I have cracked some ribs or at least bruised them, I'm battling to move my core and lying down and getting back up is an issue,

My question is similar to the OP, should I be stretching it out? Moving around? Or just rest?

Also is there things I should be eating or drinking, or any exercises that would speed up healing, I need to get ready for next years season which starts in mid jan

Stu2, you are an ambitious man. If its hurting lying down and getting up, that's a good sign they're broken. If you are hearing the bones clicking when you breathe or move, they are broken. I suggest sleeping in your easy chair for several weeks. That was the only way I was able to get by. That was suggested to me by those in the know with experience with fluid in the lungs. You do not want that.

It takes 6-8 weeks for the bones to nit, and they will set in 4-5 weeks. You should feel muscle spasums pulling when you caugh or sneeze, quite painful. Those will pull the bones together. I would think you should not do any exercises, stretching or moving around for at least 4 weeks. Take is slow after that. Expect 6 months before riding, at least that is what I'm hearing. And the way I feel now, that will be too soon.

my experience is 10 - 12 weeks for the bones to reset...dr mark informed me 6-9 months before riding...the issue is not about riding with bones healing...its about taking another dump and driving your ribs into your internal organs...

that is really really bad...

Give yourself at least a few months if they’re broken. Rest up, and no, don’t exercise stretch or do anything that hurts.