Sign in to follow this  

New to pit bikes, what oil?

Hey everyone, new to pit bikes and new to this forum. I was given a free pitbike that I am now trying to get working. Its a 150cc 4 speed 4 stroke pit bike that I think is chinese. the name on the tag on the front shock is half missing but its a 2006 bike from: zhejanglian motorcycle co. ltd. I am not sure if thats the name but thats what it looks like to me. It runs fine and all, but the clutch wont disengage. I was the second one to work on this bike, and both the first guy and myself have no idea what we are doing when it comes to pit bikes so when it was put together last they put straight 5w-30 in the bike and when they tried to pull the clutch in and put it in gear the bike popped a wheelie and took off. I took the side case off over the clutch and realized it used oil pressure to disengage, so its a wet clutch. I am assuming my issue too light of an oil. Does anyone know what oil I should be using, and has anyone even heard of that manufacturer before?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Adjust all the slack out of the inner cable with the inline adjuster (if the cable has one) and then, at the perch lever end, use the adjuster to run it out until there is the thickness of a nickel gap between the perch and the lever when you go to pull it in. You'll be able to "feel" when the actuator arm is pushing in on the pressure plate.

Couple more questions, why are there two drain plugs on the engine, and these things don't have oil filters right? I found some 10W - 40 I will use, and I also adjusted the clutch. Its actually a 125, but has anyone heard of this company before? Thanks a lot for all the help guys

The oil drain plug is on the clutch side of the engine, facing straight down. The angled plug on the left side of the engine is for the cam chain tensioner, you don't need to open that one up.

Alright, I am all good to go then. Thanks alot dirtbkr188, youve been a real big help. And highmarker, I am not a totally clueless kid, I am going to school to become a mechanic right now. I am new to pit bikes and all, but I know better then to just run whatever oil you have in the bike. I rather spend the time to do it right the first time, then rush through it and have to go through the bike a second time, and possibly have to replace the clutch. Do it right once, have the peace of mind you did it right, and not have to go through it again.

Thanks, Adam

I rather spend the time to do it right the first time, then rush through it and have to go through the bike a second time, and possibly have to replace the clutch. Do it right once, have the peace of mind you did it right, and not have to go through it again.

I've been a professional auto mechanic for seven years. Don't loose that attitude and you'll always have a job. Theres a lot of hacks out there, dont be one.:busted:

I'm a 42yr old hack,finally thru in the towel on my SSR and took it to the shop and had them put my Lifan in.

The electrical was totally different on the zongshen that was in it,and the Lifan had no wiring harness,the stator sensor broke,when I put the new stator on it was all soldered,so paid $235 to have the shop wire,fix brakes(I can do,but was done),rear wheel swap and new chain.I coulda done everything but wire it,but had spent so much time on it I was frustrated and drained,so said **** it,shop.

I can do bolt-on stuff,but zero engine/tranny stuff.

Have disassembled and fully cleaned carbs(even did that on my buddys sportster),but thats about it for mechanix.

My bike(lifan) had a sticker on it that said 10w35? so I've been running 10w30penzoil,like to stick w/ 1 brand,and it shifts and everythings fine.

Alright, we got the slack taken out of the line so that the leaver on the side of the clutch cover is maxed out when you pull the clutch in. When you pull the clutch the plate inside becomes flush with the face behind it. We are running 10- w40 in it and there is a bit of a oil leak from the circular cover where you see the inside of the clutch leaver but when we put it into first it just takes off, still no clutch. What should we do?