Sign in to follow this  

Washington Belfair riding to keep getting more expensive

way I understand it. The tolls have to be such that they keep paying the bridge off on schedule, so if less people drive across (economy, higher tolls) then the tolls will go up. Kind of a catch 22. Then you have the bond holders (banks), they don't want the bridge paid off early because they are getting a good return on their investment.

Yup...too bad we have a hard time understanding a smart guy. Eyman had a good idea. Right now, all tolls are controlled by a Governor crony appointed commitee. Our state constitution say that all road tolls are to be spent on roads...not special pet projects like beautification, or park n rides, etc. Eyman's initiative would have eliminated that function. Our politicians in this state have found many loopholes around our constitution...this would have killed one of them.

Many people were scared into believing that future transportation loans would become harder to get...I don't buy that, people willing to loan are out there...this would have forced our politicians to do their job and come up with a solution without the capability of 'cheating' our state constitution. Sure it would take some effort, but isn't that what we pay them for?

So, whenever you're payin that toll...remind yourself that the cost goes up to fund pet projects...not better roads.

narrows bridge tolls go to california, then to the private sector design build contractor. Don't think the gov or leg or trans commitee have any access to them. State doesn't take possession of the bridge till it is paid off. There has been talk of taking over the tolling if the contactor doesn't get their sht together. Right now the tolling contractor has no interest in paying the bridge off either. why would they?

maybe costco can take over the ferrys too, LOL I'd vote for that

especially if fares were lowered or at least stopped increasing every three weeks. :busted:

:busted: Diesel fuel prices. They should convert ferries to nuclear power.

Yup...too bad we have a hard time understanding a smart guy. Eyman had a good idea. Right now, all tolls are controlled by a Governor crony appointed commitee. Our state constitution say that all road tolls are to be spent on roads...not special pet projects like beautification, or park n rides, etc. Eyman's initiative would have eliminated that function. Our politicians in this state have found many loopholes around our constitution...this would have killed one of them.

Many people were scared into believing that future transportation loans would become harder to get...I don't buy that, people willing to loan are out there...this would have forced our politicians to do their job and come up with a solution without the capability of 'cheating' our state constitution. Sure it would take some effort, but isn't that what we pay them for?

So, whenever you're payin that toll...remind yourself that the cost goes up to fund pet projects...not better roads.

Reminds me of the commericals for the 10 cent gas tax. They said that if we dont pass the tax the 520 bridge will collapse in the next windstorm. If we get the gas tax we will have a good bulk of the money for the new bridge. :busted:

Now we have to flipping toll it to pay for it as they have zilch and you know damm well they will STILL be broke and simply jack the tolls like this. Once 520 is tolled, then I90 and north /south of the Lake...and oh while we are at it we all need to "ay our fair share" and lets just toll all roads.

Soon it wll be like New York around here where only the super rich and poor/students live because nobody else will be able to afford it.

There was a new term coined at one time., the "free-way". It was a west coast thing thumbing their nose at the eastcoast "toll -way" . The west coast being more progressive and booming economy you know... Those times are changed.

One of the biggest factors driving tolling right now is the technology is there to do it without making cars stop to throw a coin. If everyone refused to get the tags and made them build tool booths, backed up traffic to a standstill they would probably pull them out.

Eyman wasn't being an angel, he was a hired gun for the guy that doesn't want light rail built to the eastside. However, IMHO, the idea of returning to the direction of the state constitution is not a bad idea. The committee's service to the public has run its course, and should be dismantled, and a new plan to check and balance the function put in it's place. That's what I thought Politicians are paid to do. They take the easy way out, and raise taxes. Seattle area seems to like taxes.

There was a new term coined at one time., the "free-way". It was a west coast thing thumbing their nose at the eastcoast "toll -way" . The west coast being more progressive and booming economy you know... Those times are changed.

One of the biggest factors driving tolling right now is the technology is there to do it without making cars stop to throw a coin. If everyone refused to get the tags and made them build tool booths, backed up traffic to a standstill they would probably pull them out.

They wouldn't need to add toll booths, traffic is already backed up. Just stick some bums at the onramps with buckets to collect the tolls.

especially if fares were lowered or at least stopped increasing every three weeks. :busted:

:busted: Diesel fuel prices. They should convert ferries to nuclear power.

There's not an Earth- Muffin alive that would let that one get by. They would be happier to open all Washington hiking trails to motorcycle use than go with nuclear ferries.

Most of us that live on the East side of the state have always kind of discussed putting toll booths at the top of all of the passes, that would generate quite a bit of revenue, especially on weekends, lots of west side traffic comes through on weekends.

a coasty tax :busted:

Most of us that live on the East side of the state have always kind of discussed putting toll booths at the top of all of the passes, that would generate quite a bit of revenue, especially on weekends, lots of west side traffic comes through on weekends.

Uhhh...you might generate some cash from tolls, but lose BUCKETS of it that we don't $pend "over there" in your businesses :busted: when many decide not to go:busted:

joe

FWIW the narrows bridge system doesn't use flash, just good lighting.

i think the 520 system will use the flash. every night when i ride home it pops twice as i'm going through.