Sign in to follow this  

TiN coated ring vs nikasil

I am considering running TiN coated ring in my eric gorr yz144, I am sure the ring will last longer but what is the impact on bore wear (nikasil) ?

I realize the a TiN ring will last much longer than a normal ring , the question is at what cost in increased bore wear?

Trying to get some feedback on how much faster the bore will wear...

Any one with back to back EXPERIENCE with TiN vs uncoated rings in terms of Bore wear?

Wiseone, the pervious wiseco rep said the wear from it was not an issue. He was the type of guy who woudl have told me if ti woudl have, so I would not worry abotu that.

The ti nitride coating was developed by Wiseco for Yamaha of Troy. They were having trouble gettign the normal rings to last for a Supercross event on Mike Browns yz250. Once the ring was coated, he said it lasted until they did not dare run it any longer.

I only put 20 hours on my 250 kit, and I can still see all of the crosshatch. I'm also the first guy in line to get the ti nitride ring if it becomes available for the 295 kit.

Wiseone, the pervious wiseco rep said the wear from it was not an issue. He was the type of guy who woudl have told me if ti woudl have, so I would not worry abotu that.

The ti nitride coating was developed by Wiseco for Yamaha of Troy. They were having trouble gettign the normal rings to last for a Supercross event on Mike Browns yz250. Once the ring was coated, he said it lasted until they did not dare run it any longer.

I only put 20 hours on my 250 kit, and I can still see all of the crosshatch. I'm also the first guy in line to get the ti nitride ring if it becomes available for the 295 kit.

+1

I ran a TiNi ring in my bike on the last top end. The ring lasted FOREVER and the crosshatching still looked great upon rebuild.

I've talked to Frenchie (C4MX) who was involved in the YOT 125 of metcalfe in 2005 and he told to go with the wiseco pro-lite (even the bige bore) because of the ring durability.