Sign in to follow this  

FCR Problems

Was on my way home from a ride today when I stalled out stopped at a stop sign. Didn't think much of it, adjusted my idle a little higher and started the bike up again, as I pulled in the clutch to roll into my parking space it stalled again. Few hours later I go to start the bike and it will no idle at ALL. Turning the idle adjust knob does nothing, however it will run with the choke. Based on all the threads I've read this sounds like the symptom of a clogged pilot jet. Am I on the right track?

Was on my way home from a ride today when I stalled out stopped at a stop sign. Didn't think much of it, adjusted my idle a little higher and started the bike up again, as I pulled in the clutch to roll into my parking space it stalled again. Few hours later I go to start the bike and it will no idle at ALL. Turning the idle adjust knob does nothing, however it will run with the choke. Based on all the threads I've read this sounds like the symptom of a clogged pilot jet. Am I on the right track?

Yup, sounds like you are.

I started having a similar problem with mine when it started to get cold. Eddie told me to swap needles. I have an EMN and EMP needles. When i put the EMN needle in it ran better in the cold but once it started to warm up outside around 50F it would start to feel like it was loading up and had a low-mid throttle stumble getting into the main jet. I have been riding with the EMP needle in and i have my idle at about 1800rpm(which was suggested by eddie).

For me it started one morning around 45F on my commute to work. Choke was on for about a mile or so(past the first stop sign) and from there it was another 10mins(5 miles or so) before i pulled to another stop. As soon as I pulled the clutch in the bike died. The high idle seems to help but other than track days i havent done much riding in the cold over the past month. The nice thing is you can swap the needle without pulling the carb! If you do order a needle from epic to try I would suggest getting a spare Eclip so you dont have to swap those over each time. Im always afraid of mine shooting across the garage:)

in my experience .. a blocked pilot jet will cause hanging idle

did you experience this ?

Not yesterday, all I did was pull the clutch lever in for more than 5 seconds and the bike would die. I don't think I've really experienced major hanging idle, and if I have I thought it was because the throttle wheel was getting caught on my frame.

The only other carb related issue I've had was some sputtering, which went away once I ran a large amount of seafoam though the bike.

I started having a similar problem with mine when it started to get cold. Eddie told me to swap needles. I have an EMN and EMP needles. When i put the EMN needle in it ran better in the cold but once it started to warm up outside around 50F it would start to feel like it was loading up and had a low-mid throttle stumble getting into the main jet. I have been riding with the EMP needle in and i have my idle at about 1800rpm(which was suggested by eddie).

For me it started one morning around 45F on my commute to work. Choke was on for about a mile or so(past the first stop sign) and from there it was another 10mins(5 miles or so) before i pulled to another stop. As soon as I pulled the clutch in the bike died. The high idle seems to help but other than track days i havent done much riding in the cold over the past month. The nice thing is you can swap the needle without pulling the carb! If you do order a needle from epic to try I would suggest getting a spare Eclip so you dont have to swap those over each time. Im always afraid of mine shooting across the garage:)

I've noticed the bike doesn't like to start on cold days, but once warm it runs fine. I just don't think the cold would make my idle adjust knob do nothing for me like it is now.

No idle and a bike sitting unridden is usually the pilot jet. Bike running fine one minute and no idle the next is symptomatic of a fuel screw that vibrated loose and fell out.

Big knob on the side of the carb is for idle speed, not idle mixture.

UPDATE: Went to pull the carb today, decided to see if I would need to charge the battery so I tried to start her up, fired right up no problems. Let it sit for over 5 mins just to see if it would quit, since it didn't I figured to take it for a spin. Drove about 4 miles no problems at all. Then hit some traffic and sure enough, pulled in the clutch and died. After a few mins got it running, wouldn't idle, but ran okay enough that I made a U turn and headed back home. Go about 3/4 of a mile and hit a red light, it was running until I went to take off, then died completely. Even pop starting had no effect. Waited a few more mins and got it running again long enough to get to a parking lot where it quit just as I was pulling in. Does this sound like a pilot jet issue still? I'm planning on a tank flush just to be safe but could this be a vapor lock issue perhaps?

Maybe your vac petcock is messed up and your not getting enough fuel. That might explain the hard restart.

Just as an FYI, when i leave my house in the morning and pull to the first stop sign. If the choke is off sometimes it will idle just fine. A few miles down the road after i have been running on constant throttle if i pull the clutch in, it might die. Also when its colder my idle knob seemed to do less(sometimes nothing) for me. I have gotten used to holding the throttle open a little as i pull to a stop when it cold out:).

So by your statement above you didnt pull the carb yet?

I recently replaced my petcock with a manual one. And first thing after work tomorrow I'm pulling the carb, so no, not yet.

That was one thing I noticed, after pulling into the parking lot and adding carb cleaner to the tank I started it up and it idled fine. Would a pinched vent line on the tank cause that?

Update: Pulled the carb, jets were fine. I also suspected fuel in the oil, changed my oil. Started her up, seemed to run better, probably from the fresh oil. Took it for a ride, noticed much more decel pop, like instead of a few pops it was a constant pop pop pop pop pop sound. Got about a 1/2 mile and started acting up, stalling when I pulled in the clutch. Managed to keep it running long enough to get it back home.

The first symptom I noticed was hanging idle, after that started, the stalling began.

I'm completely at a loss at this point.

Well it's pretty safe to say by the pops and the hang that it's going lean for some reason somewhere. Most likely in the pilot region from what you describe, but could be lean other places too.

The petcock rules out my idea of putting it in the "prime" position for testing.

It sure sounds like vacuum building in your tank... it sounds scary but what happens if you crack open the gas cap as soon as it starts giving you trouble?