Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket kickstands

Curious what experiences you guys have had with aftermarket kickstands. So far I have found...

MSR

Ricochet

Trail Tech

Moose

Pro Moto Billet

I have no experience with any of these but have read quite a few negative reviews of the Trail Tech kickstand but haven't heard anything on the others. I'm in the market for one as trying to prop your bike up on a Saguaro is no fun!

I run the promoto Billet Kick It. I like the wide foot b/c it doesn't sink in soft terrain, it tucks up high/tight, there's no external spring to lose and the anodized black looks good on my KTM. I've MX'd w/ it and it doesn't come down on hard landings. On the pricey side, but it's a nice piece.

Pro Moto Billet....Just dont sit on or try to start the bike with it down.....but who does that?

How come? I'm an inseam challenged individual :busted: and normally start my KDX250 while on the kickstand.

How come? I'm an inseam challenged individual :busted: and normally start my KDX250 while on the kickstand.

Well apparently some have cracked theirs from using it to start the bike repeatedly. I swear I remember them warning not to do this in the instructions but I am not sure. May want to look into something else if you plan to do this.

As others have said, PMB is the way to go. I have one on my YZ250. The fit is dead on and it is excellent quality. A few drops of bicycle chain lube in the pivot area are all the maintenance it really needs.

PMB here too. I've started mine once or twice while on the stand. It's pretty rare, and it's held up great.

Pro Moto FTW, just bought my second one. All aluminum with a big pad, internal retention spring, mounts to stock holes (not a clamp-on), tucks away nicely and doesn't drop on jump landings, etc. They are nice units and well worth the money.

I run PMB kickstands on all of my bikes. They are like $30 more than the others, but IMO they are designed better as well as look better.

Heres a pic of my PMB in action...:busted: (2004 CRF250 framed CR500)

013wby.jpg

Another PMB fan, got one on both my YZ250 and 125 SX. Well worth the extra coin in my book.

And definitely don't kick start your bike while its on the stand! Any stand. Its a broken stand and potentially ugly tip over waiting to happen. Just think of all the forces you are transmitting through the stand and mounting bolts when you kick your bike.

Unless you are a risk taker and thrill seeker and don't mind buying duplicate parts for your bike. In that case, stand up and kick away...

I've had a Trail Tech on my CR for about 4 years now, and it has worked flawlessly. It tucks up and away nicely, and doesn't flop at all.

However, I have a friend that just bought one for his YZ400, and his opinion isn't nearly as favorable as mine. The fit/function is fine, it just flops a little too much for his liking.

It appears that the results vary, depending upon application.

And definitely don't kick start your bike while its on the stand! Any stand. Its a broken stand and potentially ugly tip over waiting to happen. Just think of all the forces you are transmitting through the stand and mounting bolts when you kick your bike.

Unless you are a risk taker and thrill seeker and don't mind buying duplicate parts for your bike. In that case, stand up and kick away...

There is no problem kickstarting on the stand when you have a KDX. They are heavy, thick steel held on by two huge bolts. It isn't pretty but I have never had to replace a single part...ever!

Now, for my current KDX250AF build, what you say would probably be true as it will have an aftermarket kickstand. However, a factory KDX kickstand is as durable as they come.