Sign in to follow this  

crank stuck!

cant seem to get this crank end out.

ive tried heating and cooling and tapping with hammer and wood but this sucker wont budge.

any good ideas that i might not thought of would be appreciated.

5evmzk.jpg

no, hammer is only for teaaing it gently. i dont want to damage the bearing housing, so using force is out.

well its been in the fridge overnight. gonna give it another go with the heat u

gun and if that dont work, its off to the bike shop press.

hek i would try a puller. any auto parts store should have one for $20. same thing they show in the manual. then again maybe my idea is totally dumb :busted:

hek i would try a puller. any auto parts store should have one for $20. same thing they show in the manual. then again maybe my idea is totally dumb :busted:

if i had to buy a factory tool to do every job that the manual says, id need to buy another tool box and take out a second mortgage.

for example, it takes about 7 factory tools just to split the cases and remove/instal crank bearings . yet, it does not recommend using heat/cold to remove/instal bearings(which i find is the safest technique)

besides, ive found some better ways of doing things than what manuals always tell me.sometimes

its good to share mechanical problems on forums because you can often get good feedback. and im never too old to learn.

and i hate having to handle work over to the local oafs at the motorcycle shop because they butcher it half the time anyway.

i got it apart with minimal damage to the cases so im happy. fridge and heat technique worked.:busted:

the tools really arent that expensive. yes it will be a few hundred bucks. but not a few thousand like people think. how you plan to get the tranny bearings out ? :busted:. how you plan to put the cases back together ? :busted:. maybe your big hammer will work lol

the tools really arent that expensive. yes it will be a few hundred bucks. but not a few thousand like people think. how you plan to get the tranny bearings out ? :busted:. how you plan to put the cases back together ? :busted:. maybe your big hammer will work lol

x2. however, dont bother dude. ive went through the rounds with others before on why the proper tool is the way to go. while i truly mean no offense to the OP, with the proper tools, he'd have that case down bare instead of making a thread and waiting for a response while time wastes away. how much is your time worth to you? i just spent $130 on an excel spoke torque wrench that i didnt even use on my own bike yet, instead i bought it and laced and trued my friends wheel FOR HIM. why? am i made of money? no, but the investment is worth it for me since i need new rims here in a bit and id end up using it anyways. from now on though, if he wants to use it, it gonna cost him a "renters" fee. if youre too cheap to buy a couple hundred $ tools to work on your couple thousand $ machine, you got it all backwards...

if they want to spend the time with freezers, hammers, torches and whatever, let them be.

the tools really arent that expensive. yes it will be a few hundred bucks. but not a few thousand like people think. how you plan to get the tranny bearings out ? :busted:. how you plan to put the cases back together ? :bonk:. maybe your big hammer will work lol

tranny bearings will just fall out if you put cases in the oven.:lol:

frozen bearings just drop right into hot cases too.:bonk:

thought a smart alec like you would of known that?:busted:

cases slide together without trouble with heat too, as long as all surfaces are clean.;)

done it all before.