Sign in to follow this  

XL 500s front forks

Has anyone got any ideas on how to remove fork caps I replaced my forks recently and need to change oil, I drained the forks and cannot remove the top caps. My old forks had nut type tops with air valves the replacement forks now have allen key type sockets in them I have tried using a nut and spanner to remove them but they are so tight that the nut is distorting the cap with no movement at all. Any ideas on how to remove them.

Regards Rod.:busted:

If you are still working on those forks. You might try heat. You will probably ruin the o-ring seal though.

Hi gialinn,

Thanks for reply I gave up and took them to my local bike shop where he removed them said he would try right then if not I would have to come back later he walked out the door to workshop and returned about 1 1/2 minuets later expecting to be told to come back later, he said both caps were loosened off, no charge I was to embarrassed to even ask how he had done them. I had put so much pressure on one it had totally tore out the recess and the other was going the same way. He hadn't used heat so I don't know how he removed them I guess it pays to know what you are doing.:):lol:

Regards Rod.