The joke of diesel emmission laws

This pertains mostly to HD diesel trucks, but also some light duty.

1. The average truck burns an extra 450 gal of diesel a year to perform exhaust regeneration.

2. The urea fluid used in some models,( includes some pickup trucks) which BTW can be substituted with plain water in a pinch, comes in plastic jugs made from petro chemicals, which end up mostly in the landfills to sit for 100 to 200 yrs.

3. No idle laws in some states can be over ridden, by having your pet ride along with you. Doesn't matter if you freeze or cook, but Fido can't be uncomfortable.

Just plain B/S in my opinion, but it's a great way to pad the oil companies pockets and drain a truckers wallet. It's not to really clean up the enviroment:foul:

hey well its all stuff to pass the emmission standards, like euro 5 and stuff like adBlue (urea injection) dpf filters. and the way the governing bodies see it as "if it meets the level (euro 5) then it can only emmit that much over its life span" its all just more running cost and dosn't clean the environment in the long run. and i deal with this stuff at work and its all B/S tree hugger stuff.

hey well its all stuff to pass the emmission standards, like euro 5 and stuff like adBlue (urea injection) dpf filters. and the way the governing bodies see it as "if it meets the level (euro 5) then it can only emmit that much over its life span" its all just more running cost and dosn't clean the environment in the long run. and i deal with this stuff at work and its all B/S tree hugger stuff.
a tunnel vision band-aid, with a huge money making scam for some.

This pertains mostly to HD diesel trucks, but also some light duty.

1. The average truck burns an extra 450 gal of diesel a year to perform exhaust regeneration.

2. The urea fluid used in some models,( includes some pickup trucks) which BTW can be substituted with plain water in a pinch, comes in plastic jugs made from petro chemicals, which end up mostly in the landfills to sit for 100 to 200 yrs.

3. No idle laws in some states can be over ridden, by having your pet ride along with you. Doesn't matter if you freeze or cook, but Fido can't be uncomfortable.

Just plain B/S in my opinion, but it's a great way to pad the oil companies pockets and drain a truckers wallet. It's not to really clean up the enviroment:foul:

If a trucker is still buying Urea in plastic jugs, they need to remove their head from their hinder. Most major truckstops have bulk dispensers at the pumps, swipe the fuel card, pump, sign receipt, go. No need to go inside, haul jugs out, pour the stuff, etc.

As far as idling laws go...if you're concerned about how much fuel your regen is burning, then you should be more concerned about how much fuel is going up the stack while idling. Gallon per hour. Only fools don't have a alternative HVAC system that isn't their 500hp AC.

If a trucker is still buying Urea in plastic jugs, they need to remove their head from their hinder. Most major truckstops have bulk dispensers at the pumps, swipe the fuel card, pump, sign receipt, go. No need to go inside, haul jugs out, pour the stuff, etc.

As far as idling laws go...if you're concerned about how much fuel your regen is burning, then you should be more concerned about how much fuel is going up the stack while idling. Gallon per hour. Only fools don't have a alternative HVAC system that isn't their 500hp AC.

Out here in WA state finding DEF at the pump is few and far between...it seems like most places that do have them are broken or out of service...the newer stations that are being put in have DEF...but few of the old ones have added DEF pumps out here...which makes it a royal PITA!!!:busted::foul::busted:

On the having an alternate HVAC I 100% agree...we have a litttle Wabasto heater in our new truck and it will cook you outta the damn thing in like 15 min!!! No need for A/C tho...just crack open some vents...our guys are not on the road in the sleeper birth much tho so its not that big of a deal to not have A/C...

-mt-

it's not about dumb truckers, God knows there's plenty of them, I almost want to say, They let you drive that big truck by yourself? it's about the Man, screwing the little guy, and not saving the planet.?
Out here in WA state finding DEF at the pump is few and far between...it seems like most places that do have them are broken or out of service...the newer stations that are being put in have DEF...but few of the old ones have added DEF pumps out here...which makes it a royal PITA!!!:busted::foul::bonk:

On the having an alternate HVAC I 100% agree...we have a litttle Wabheater asto in our new truck and it will cook you outta the damn thing in like 15 min!!! No need for A/C tho...just crack open some vents...our guys are not on the road in the sleeper birth much tho so its not that big of a deal to not have A/C...

-mt-

those wabasto's are awesome, like a little furnace, the TK unit's are the best, a/c and heat. :busted: Edited by aakmetz

Out here in WA state finding DEF at the pump is few and far between...it seems like most places that do have them are broken or out of service...the newer stations that are being put in have DEF...but few of the old ones have added DEF pumps out here...which makes it a royal PITA!!!:bonk::foul:?

I don't get out to WA state much, but I know that Pilot/Flying J and Love's is shooting to have at the pump DEF available at 100% of their locations.

it's not about dumb truckers, God knows there's plenty of them, I almost want to say, They let you drive that big truck by yourself? it's about the Man, screwing the little guy, and not saving the planet.?

Think of the idling fines as a "stupid tax" for those not smart enough to come up with a better solution.:busted:

those wabasto's are awesome, like a little furnace, the TK unit's are the best, a/c and heat. :busted:

I looked at the TK units, the Carriers, the RigMaster, Blackrock APU, etc etc.

In the end, I decided I'll keep my $7-10K and instead put a $1500 gas fired genset in a side mounted box and a $600 rooftop RV AC unit with heat strips in and a digital thermostat. I hard wired the cab with outlets and a breaker panel, have less than $2500 into the whole setup.

That rooftop unit will literally freeze you out of the truck at 115F in Baker CA in broad daylight. The skin of the cab is sweating like a beer can on a hot summer day.

So far so good on the heat strips setup, but if it drops below 0F, I'm running the engine regardless....not too keen on no-starts.

Think of the idling fines as a "stupid tax" for those not smart enough to come up with a better solution.:busted:

I looked at the TK units, the Carriers, the RigMaster, Blackrock APU, etc etc.

In the end, I decided I'll keep my $7-10K and instead put a $1500 gas fired genset in a side mounted box and a $600 rooftop RV AC unit with heat strips in and a digital thermostat. I hard wired the cab with outlets and a breaker panel, have less than $2500 into the whole setup.

That rooftop unit will literally freeze you out of the truck at 115F in Baker CA in broad daylight. The skin of the cab is sweating like a beer can on a hot summer day.

So far so good on the heat strips setup, but if it drops below 0F, I'm running the engine regardless....not too keen on no-starts.

yea, those APU's are expensive, hard to say how long your recoup on fuel savings is. Some of them like the Rigmaster are a maintance nightmare, they aren't reliable either, TK makes one of the best ones, I always thought a genset is the way to go for economic reasons, the only downfall is carrying gas to run it, but for the cost savings, thats the way to go, long as you don't hang an extension cord from the deckplate to the vent window and hold it on w/ strips of shrink wrap and duct tape:smirk:

those wabasto's are awesome, like a little furnace, the TK unit's are the best, a/c and heat. :busted:

Those wabasto's are a joke. Just so the driver can have instant heat. When they are running improperly they completely engulf the vehicle. The dicks from the factory like to install them so the fuel filters and fuel line are touch the exhaust pipe.

Those wabasto's are a joke. Just so the driver can have instant heat. When they are running improperly they completely engulf the vehicle. The dicks from the factory like to install them so the fuel filters and fuel line are touch the exhaust pipe.
yes, i've seen some poor installs, but they work great when hooked up properly, no electric plug needed for parking.

yea, those APU's are expensive, hard to say how long your recoup on fuel savings is. Some of them like the Rigmaster are a maintance nightmare, they aren't reliable either, TK makes one of the best ones, I always thought a genset is the way to go for economic reasons, the only downfall is carrying gas to run it, but for the cost savings, thats the way to go, long as you don't hang an extension cord from the deckplate to the vent window and hold it on w/ strips of shrink wrap and duct tape:smirk:

What I didn't like about the TK is that I had to run an inverter to get 110 V power...how hard would it have been for them to have a real genset? All they really have is a diesel engine turning an alternator and an AC compressor.

The gas is no biggie, all truckstops have gas pumps, I just walk on over and fill up my 5 gallon can, which stows in a slot in another frame mounted box I have. From MN-CA and back, I don't have to fill the can unless I run ALOT (like every night, all night).

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for that good deal on a diesel genset from a Class A RV, keep scrounging the salvage yards when I get a chance...either they have a million hours on them, or they're gone the instant they come in.

What I didn't like about the TK is that I had to run an inverter to get 110 V power...how hard would it have been for them to have a real genset? All they really have is a diesel engine turning an alternator and an AC compressor.

The gas is no biggie, all truckstops have gas pumps, I just walk on over and fill up my 5 gallon can, which stows in a slot in another frame mounted box I have. From MN-CA and back, I don't have to fill the can unless I run ALOT (like every night, all night).

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for that good deal on a diesel genset from a Class A RV, keep scrounging the salvage yards when I get a chance...either they have a million hours on them, or they're gone the instant they come in.

Yea, the TK is only heat/cool capable, which is why they are reliable, the rigmaster and others have a million relays and circuit boards to add the ac power, which is why they suck, here's a thought, how bout one of those straight truck reefer 3 cyl Yanamar diesels hooked to a generator head, that would work, though you'd need a bigger muffler for it. they are kind of loud.

Yea, the TK is only heat/cool capable, which is why they are reliable, the rigmaster and others have a million relays and circuit boards to add the ac power, which is why they suck, here's a thought, how bout one of those straight truck reefer 3 cyl Yanamar diesels hooked to a generator head, that would work, though you'd need a bigger muffler for it. they are kind of loud.

I have a friend who did the RV rooftop AC/Heat unit powered by a generation unit driven off his reefer unit on his trailer.

Great idea, but I don't pull the same trailer every week.

I have a friend who did the RV rooftop AC/Heat unit powered by a generation unit driven off his reefer unit on his trailer.

Great idea, but I don't pull the same trailer every week.

That's cool, yea, dropping and hooking, prevents that set-up.

I know you guys are talking about big rigs and I only have a little pickup but.... I have to share. I took my tuck in to emmisions today and they have to test oppacity. I told the lady that I object to flooring my truck with no load on the motor she let me rev it to only 2 grand. I passed with 7ppm, limit is 20ppm. Last time I tested they were not so nice and I blem a 20ppm. This is w/o my programmer.

• 1 month later...

Smog on diesels is the most rediculous thing ever...

I was looking at 2010 6.7ctd, but after thinking about the dpf BS, i decided to get a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins... Rather not put on and pull of the dpf every 2 years for SMOG... I get sht all the time for driving my truck, well guess what. I can get 13-15 mpg city and 18-20.5 mpg highway.. Tell me what freakin gas truck can do that that has 700 pounds of torque.. NONE! my Diesel puts out less co2 then your gas pos prius. And i can tow my 16k toy hauler.. What can you do? Haul your fat as$ around and complain to the epa and al gore.. With out these diesel motors, you wouldnt be able to survive, thanks to the trains, truckers, fire trucks, ambulences, generaters, boats, etc.. Sorry i just hate tree huggers..

They made my tow rig/ fun toy, into a slow 400hp 8,000 pound truck...

THANKS ALL YOU HIPPIES:foul::bonk:

I know you guys are talking about big rigs and I only have a little pickup but.... I have to share. I took my tuck in to emmisions today and they have to test oppacity. I told the lady that I object to flooring my truck with no load on the motor she let me rev it to only 2 grand. I passed with 7ppm, limit is 20ppm. Last time I tested they were not so nice and I blem a 20ppm. This is w/o my programmer.

I'll try and dig up a photo that I have of an ALCO V-16, no way in hell it would pass opacity standards.