Sign in to follow this  

Fuel tank and x2 headlight for the 400

Does anyone know of an aftermarket fuel tank in BLACK that is the same size as factory for the 400? Also looking for input about the X2 headlight on the 400, are there issues with it blocking airflow to the oil cooler.

thanks

Not that I know of in stock size. I think Clarke has a 3.8G in black though. I've also seen tank covers but I'm not sure where to get them.

From what I've seen the X2 would block air flow to the oil cooler and also require a stator upgrade. I think they are 70W and the 400's stock stator (about 80W max for lighting) will just barely power a 55/60W H4 bulb.

That's right, don't use an X2 mask, it will block airflow.

I use now a H4 12V 55/60W light, it dims a bit at low idle during warmup, after that it's fine - stator is stock. It won't power a beefier light for sure.

yes, I am leaving at 6am tomorrow and heading to OHIO.

It's not in Cleveland by chance, is it?

chesterland ohio, plated, aloop kit,Barnum pipe. hope it's as good as it loks.

Had to ask cuz I just picked one up in Cleveland today! lol How much did you get yours for?

I saw a thread somewhere where a guy used Rit clothing dye from the supermarket to dye his tank black. As I recall he soaked the thing in a trashcan full of dye/water for a couple days and said it turned out really good. Looked good in the pics but sometimes pics lie. If you're planning on buying a new tank anyway it might be worth trying out. Most important is getting a good cleaning on the tank. He spent most of the project cleaning. As far as I know, nobody makes a black tank.

IMS Products shows a black tank on their web site, however it's a 4 gal tank.

Clarke also shows a 3.8 gal black tank available.

Edited by Hawkeye250
Added info

Not to say don't get black (I like black plastics) but clear is my tank choice. At a moments notice you know your level. If you use Turbo 108 (black can) and blendzall (gold label) it darkens the gas. I don't know if it helps or just the placebo effect but don't care either, stains the tank if you leave it in there for 6 months too.:busted:

X2 halogen does not work on xr4. Blocks the oil cooler and need to fab mounts to space it off enough as the mould is too deep to use rubber straps provided... The one I bought got relegated to my daughters 150rb.