Sign in to follow this  

XR100R vs 2 stroke 100s

anyone think theres a chance the XR can run with some same era 100 2 strokes? at least without thousands of dollars in engine work. im thinking may rebuilding motor, within a budget though. thinking maybe running an XR in the marty tripes 100CC works revenge series next year. i know the XR isnt most peoples first choice, but ive got one laying around that runs pretty good.

In the Marty Tripes 100, you're main question is "are you fast"? You will be racing ex-pros and fast experts. Their vintage 2-stroke bikes are very fast as well. You can beat them on a stong 120, but you better be winning a vet or 40+ intermediate class as well or at least top 5. You will also need decent suspension, because the REM track at Glen Helen gets rough. But you will need a minimum of a strong 120 and suspension. I raced it once and got smoked. (mid pack). If I was going to race it again, I would cheat as much as possible.

anyone think theres a chance the XR can run with some same era 100 2 strokes? at least without thousands of dollars in engine work. im thinking may rebuilding motor, within a budget though. thinking maybe running an XR in the marty tripes 100CC works revenge series next year. i know the XR isnt most peoples first choice, but ive got one laying around that runs pretty good.

What's the budget to work with and what are engine mod rules for both? Bottom line the 2 smoke will make more hp with less money invested.

well after a day of researching this, and getting feedback from a few people i may pass. i thought it would be kind of fun for a budget 100 class race, but most of the bikes are pretty trick racers with what seems like an unlimited budget! that and if im no pro im just traffic it seems. so maybe i will pass on that idea. im not out to destroy the competition, but i also dont want to be traffic or traction on the track either.

If both an XR100 and an RM/KX 100 were thrown out of an airplane simultaneously; the XR would return to ground faster.

Other than that, an RM/KX 100 is faster.

At Everything.

As well have a greater variety of aftermarket support.

It's a vintage class with YZ100's. The gate is full of ex-pros from Tommy Croft to Scott Burnsworth. Fast guys. You need a Kitaco kit for sure and really good suspension. I was talking with my friend who races it regularly, he listed like 10 pros. But he did say a kitaco kit holeshoted. It's a fun thing to do plus you can say you race with some of best guys ever to race motocross.

maybe one day i can give it a shot. yeah the rules are pretty open, but i does have to be an air cooled motor. i just dont want to spend a ton of money on the bike for just one race, and then park it never to use it again. just looking for something interesting to do with my XR.