Sign in to follow this  

2006 kx 250 cylinder cracking

i have a 2006 kx 250 and i was rebuilding the entire engine as i always maintain all my bikes in the winter.i took the cyl off and the piston skirt was shateredand the piston was cracked to the point of almost spliting in half.i also discovered that at the bottom of the cylender there was cracks.the bike had 100 hours on the top end before i striped it down.the bike ran great and would have never suspected that many issues.can i get these cracks welded(if this is posible) and slightly bore and replated or would it be beter to just sleeve it.my cylender as it is now has no scoring,gauging,scratches or wear marks other that the cracning at the bottom skirt area of the cylender.let me know what you think i should do.i already bought hotrods crank,crank and transmision bearings and gasket/seal kit and am doing over the botom end this week.i am holding off on the piston and rings till i get this cylender situation sorted out.i can take pictures on monday and upload them to here if needed.

lol,i thought you took a picture of my cylinder and piston there for a second,its identical cracking and piston shatering.did you get yours sleeved or repaired and renicasiled?

if you send the cylinder to langcourt or millenium they can weld it and re-plate it for you. Cost will be around $250 probably...

Or you could buy a new cylinder.

thanks,ive been searching around and found out that us chrome is a pretty good place and it will cost me $260,id buy a new one but i cannot afford one riht now,just enough to get redone

This is why you take measures against something like that happening and change the piston before it wears out and breaks the skirt along with the rest of your motor and wallet..........just my 2 cents

I am not attacking anyone here, I am just saying preventive maintenance is the best kind.

I never knew it could cause cracking in the cylinder, only that pistons can break.

The piston breaking is what hurts the cylinder

thanks,ive been searching around and found out that us chrome is a pretty good place and it will cost me $260,id buy a new one but i cannot afford one riht now,just enough to get redone

Just as well. Aftermarket plating will be stronger than the stock coating anyway. For what it's worth, I don't deal with US Chrome anymore. Plenty of horror stories about their work.