Sign in to follow this  

Oversized front disc

Hi,

I'm considering buying the 270 mm disc for my 250 and I wonder:

Is there any difference? Is it worth the 150 $ (I'm not a fast rider)?

Is the Pro factory Moto x disc any good? Or should I go for EBC or Braking (which is to expensive...)

Thanks!

Edited by espkul

I'm not a fan of anythign ebc makes so I would not run one. If cool looks are yout goal in goign ig, by all means buy the best you can.

But, if you want better brakes, it can be done for a hundred bucks or so. Not sexy looking, but far better performance than a stock yamaha brake system and a big rotor.

Try a search on crf brake conversions. Get yourself a crf Honda master cylinder and a set of Honda crf pads. Then you'll knwo what good brakes are.

I have a SS brake line and oversized rotor on my 125. Makes a huge difference. I won't own another bike without those 2 things.

Hey Roland you don't think any type of wave rotor would be worth messing with? Just curious I had given thought to getting one as well.

I don't use oem pads, and my master cylinder works ok (Since I have an '09 it has some modifications). Then I found the pro factory rotor for 150 $ on ebay....

I have a Galfer oversize wave rotor. 270mm The wave pattern is meaningless. It does nothing. You'll see companies say the pattern matters, but studies show its worthless. I have a round yamaha rear rotor and a wave. I promise there is no difference in feel or weight.

I added my galfer 270mm rotor to an otherwise stock system. The big rotor came with Galfer carbon pads, so I used them. The result was LOW power...Fred Flintstone drag your feet like power....and mush, spongy feel. I was pissed, but it was too late to take it back.

I then tried oversize with my old, oem yamaha pads. It was improved, but felt just like the original brakes...hum.....I then went over to my neighbors and borrowed the pads from his 2005 crf 450. DAMN....DOUBLE DAMN! Thats more like it. The brakes were very good and improved from stock.

That made me think.....so I put the small yamaha rotor back on with the crf pads. Excellent performance. Far better thna stock and 98% of what the large rotor gave me.

That day taught me a lot. Even the best brakes are only as good as their weakest link....which is often the pads. Two, large rotors dont do much if everything else is not good.

So, yea, the large rotors are fine and even helpful. But only if everythign else is good. A good Honda Master cylinder, Honda Caliper, and Honda pads makes for a great set of brakes and costs very little.

If you use that Honda system with a big rotor, look out.

So, here is my recommended order of brake stuff replacement. If a person follows this, they cna get great brakes for little cost. Stop buying new things when the brakes are as good as you want. Do it all and you'll have 1 finger brakes.

1...Honda pads

2...Honda Master cylinder

3...Honda caliper

4...Oversize rotor

5...Braided line

I left out fresh fluid and bleeding...I think we all know that.

I have a honda m/c and line on mine now but wasn't sure if there was any honda pads that would fit a 96. Thanks for the insight I think I will stick with what I have now.

I don't think I can use a honda caliper either I believe I would have to change my forks as the lugs are diff on the 96 than newer yzs

If you use that Honda system with a big rotor, look out.

One finger all day :busted:

When you guys say you use CRF pads do you mean like OEM Honda pads or aftermarket brands for a CRF? I am interested in getting some more front brake but I don't want the mega touchy brakes my buddies CR has.

The 96 yz does have an odd caliper and pads. I dont believe nay cr parts will work on it.

The pads we're talking about are the original crf pads sold by the Honda shop.

I have braking 270's on both my yz250's with stainless lines. My 295 has the full honda caliper swap. You hardly have to push the lever total 1 finger braking. I run 270s because when I ice race I can eat through front pads fast. I even have a braking 320 for the bike too but I noticed it was too much and I started taring lugs off my ice tires from braking.

Sounds like I should get one. Do you think there's a big difference between the braking disc vs. a disc for half the price on ebay (Pro factory moto x)?

i've done a little searching, but what Honda pads would i need to buy in order so they fit on an 07 yz450 front caliper? sorry about the thread hack...:busted:

Actually you can go back to 1998 and end up with good pads. I used 2006 pads, but I doubt they have changed since then.

Actually you can go back to 1998 and end up with good pads. I used 2006 pads, but I doubt they have changed since then.

ok, thanks!:busted:

I have braking 270's on both my yz250's with stainless lines. My 295 has the full honda caliper swap. You hardly have to push the lever total 1 finger braking. I run 270s because when I ice race I can eat through front pads fast. I even have a braking 320 for the bike too but I noticed it was too much and I started tearing lugs off my ice tires from braking.

Odd. Id say fluke or doin' the Kung Fu over heavy chop. I run Honda systems on 270 and have had 320s on both Honda 450s and YZ250s and not seen a lot of wear.

Do you ride much street bike? It's not good for much. But it will teach you a lot about big brawny brakes. It's sort of a Grasshopper on rice paper deal. The key to them isn't the raw power. It's the the very subtle amounts of high power that you can modulate. Listen to the tire. If it sounds like you are beating the crap out of it. You probably are. But at that point you probably aren't stopping any faster than you would if your held it a a slight grinding noise. 10% slippage is, in general, optimal. Any more than that is either beating up your tires or actually losing stopping power, often both.

I have ridden a lot of street bikes with huge braking systems and have had a lot of experiance with their eccentricities.

Canadian ice tires a braking 320mm and letting other people ride your bike was wrecking my front tire. The 270 and a good line was just as good but even with a 270 I eat a full set of front pads each winter. No I dont ride motorcycles on the street just offroad. To tell you the truth I started riding dirtbike in the winter instead of snowmobile racing.