Sign in to follow this  

1991 DR350 - Valve problem?

Ok, This has been a great bike, I could keep up with the new bikes on it. But then It started sputtering one day a little bit, and then within a few rides got really bad.

Now, It will start in 1 or 2 kicks everytime, even cold, and even after sitting for a while. And, it will idle just fine. But when I start giving it gas it starts sputtering real bad, and shoots gas and air back out of the carb. Like a reverse backfire almost. I can even ride it and until you hit about half throttle it seems fine. It even has good power in the low RPM's.

Are my intake valves "floating" or sticking open? Or maybe my exaust valves are sticking shut?

Someone tole me it was the timing, but then why would it run fine till about 2.5-3.5 grand on the tach?

Please help I really miss my bike....

Wow! I just got it home from my grandpa's house, it sat for about 8-10 months and I just dumped the gas out of the tank, put some in, and it started on the 3rd kick! And without a throttle cable at that. Runs like a champ till about 2,000 rpms. I even drove it down the street and back with no throttle cable, heh, it was like a suicide throttle. It seems to have full power untill about 2,000 also.

Edited by Kloque

Did you ever get this sorted out? Sounds like a carb problem to me. I suggest you take the carb apart and clean everything well and see if that helps.