Sign in to follow this  

very loose, sloppy kickstart. any fixes?

my 05 crf450r and a friends 02 cr250 have got pretty loose kickstarts. especially his. it is very worn out.

is there any simple or cheap fixes for this? or do we each gotta buy a brand new kickstart assembly for $140 each...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-OEM-KICK-START-ASSEMBLEY-CR250R-CR250-2000-04-/200672505044?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb9036cd4

or is there cheaper ones somewhere?

First you take it off the splines.Then undo the screw on the outside of the kickstart.Then pull the lever and pivot apart.There will be a spring and a ball bearing(maybe 2).Replace these parts and it should be good to go

No that wont work if the aluminium is worn down like it was on my 06, was worn down a groove about 2-3mm where the lever stops when you pull it out, which made it really sloppy, welded on enough material to make it like new, now its tight!

On my yz the steel shaft wore out the aluminum hole it rotates on. Once that happens there isn't much option except to replace it as far as I know.

You can buy the replacement bottom piece , without buying the entire kick start , for around $40 -$45 , i recently replaced the one on my 02 CRF450R , it made all the difference in the world

Part #3 for the CRF450 - Honda Part # 28302-MEB-671

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp?Type=13&A=282&B=39

Part #3 for the CR250 - Honda Part # 28302-KZ3-J20

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp?Type=13&A=219&B=34

Just tell your dealer or parts place that you want those part # and you should be set

First you take it off the splines.Then undo the screw on the outside of the kickstart.Then pull the lever and pivot apart.There will be a spring and a ball bearing(maybe 2).Replace these parts and it should be good to go

no, that wont work. I believe every individual part on his kick start assembly shows major wear. the bottom piece, the lever in several spots, even the phillips screw that holds it on.

You can buy the replacement bottom piece , without buying the entire kick start , for around $40 -$45 , i recently replaced the one on my 02 CRF450R , it made all the difference in the world

Part #3 for the CRF450 - Honda Part # 28302-MEB-671

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp?Type=13&A=282&B=39

Part #3 for the CR250 - Honda Part # 28302-KZ3-J20

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp?Type=13&A=219&B=34

Just tell your dealer or parts place that you want those part # and you should be set

hmm. I will have to look and see which part is worn out. I think the female part in the lever might be worn out also. I could just replace one part at a time though.. might get lucky. or might have to buy the full thing, which I was ready to do in the first place.

You know the bottom part is made out of steel and the kickstart of aluminium, what do you think wears first. Replacing the bottom part wont help.

I bought a bike with a worn out kick starter once and made a very thin sleeve out of shim stock. I cut out where the spring and ball go so that the detend would not be affected. It actually worked pretty well to tighten it back up.

I bought a bike with a worn out kick starter once and made a very thin sleeve out of shim stock. I cut out where the spring and ball go so that the detend would not be affected. It actually worked pretty well to tighten it back up.

yeah I was thinking something like that would work. or if I could put a bead of weld in the aluminum kick start arm piece, and dremel it out very slowly until it fits perfectly over top of the bottom steel piece.

I used the little plastic peice from inside a soda cap.. cut it to fit up inside the female end of the kickstarter and it works like new.. also this can be repeated as the plasic wears. doesnt get much cheaper..

Bend a bracket from mild steel strip with a plastic clamp to hold 5/8" electricity tube bolted to it, and mount that assy together with your right upper motor support.

Takes a bit of tweaking but holds your kickstarter in place perfect for 1$ or so.

Did so myself with 100+ Hrs bikes.