Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket kickstarter?

The OEM kickstarter on my yz is about to rattle apart due to the steel shaft wearing out the aluminum hole it rides in. I should have taken better care of it, but I still dont think its a good design and hate to pay $100+ for the same thing.

Back in the good ol' days (pre 2000) I remember seeing advertisements for aftermarket starters and shifters for 2 strokes. Do any companies like this exist today? Do any others kickstarters fit this bike that I might be able to find cheap?

How about emptying a can of beer, or coke for that matter and cut a stripe off the can, about 1/2 an inch wide, put that around the steel center pieze that way you retighten the kicker again. So far I haven't got a clue how long it lasts but beer or coke cans I have more than enough :busted:

Edited by arnego2

BBR used to make some starters... I'm not sure if they make them for two strokes though.

There was another company several years back, I just can't remember the name.

I bought a brand new OEM starter for my 2002 back in June. It was worth every penny.

As for my old starter, I plan to bore the hole and press in a bronze bushing. It will make a good spare.

BBR used to make some starters... I'm not sure if they make them for two strokes though.

There was another company several years back, I just can't remember the name.

I bought a brand new OEM starter for my 2002 back in June. It was worth every penny.

As for my old starter, I plan to bore the hole and press in a bronze bushing. It will make a good spare.

That's a great idea. Although I liked the beer can idea too.

Time to look for a bronze bushing.

Thanks for the input! :busted:

I tried that, it didin't last too long unfortunately.

I tried that, it didin't last too long unfortunately.

I'm assuming the bronze egged out?

Pincushion, you may have to make it out of steel to handle the high stress.

Check mcmaster.com and some of the other industrial supply companies. They offer bushings and sleeves, you may find something that works off the shelf for a few bucks.

Or you could buy a foot of steel tubing from the local steel supply house or welding shop and run it on a lathe.