Sign in to follow this  

California Which section of Rock Creek is closed

Ranger said something about the Southern Trails (Crossier Loop Critical Deer Winter Range) are closed this time of year - but I can't find them on the trail map. Anyone know what part of GT this is? Besides the "southern"? Like trail numbers so something.

ranger aint' answering phones all day...

The southern section are trails 7, 7-1, 7-2 and 1.2

They're rarely ridden by most people as you have to take a road south of the deep water crossing for several miles before you reach them. About 85% of the park should still be open when the southern section is closed from nov to may.

Oh ok - I see. thank you for pointing that out.

I guess I could take trail 6 around the bottom if I want to do a big loop.

How deep is that water crossing you think this time of year? rideable?

Year round it's never more than a couple of feet deep. It's always rideable. Just get on the pegs and take it slow and easy, lots of slick rocks so don't be afraid to get your feet wet.

Trail 6 should still be open, although you will want to use it as a loop rather than dropping down on to the fire road on the southern end of it.

Here's a video of a segment of trail 7 to get an idea of what you're (not)missing

http://youtu.be/UftlmSoPWTQ

Trail 6 for shits and giggles (it's actually trail 1 for about the first three minutes)

http://youtu.be/OmVPLqU-oek

Use the map to your advantage to make a large loop there. There's a lot of mileage if you hit all the variants of trail 4, 1 and 5 in addition to the other good trails out there.