Sign in to follow this  

powerbomb header install..problem

Installing my header tonite, mating it to the muffler is a problem, would not slip into the mid pipe. I took out the gasket in the mid-pipe/muffler and it slips right in. what can I use as a gasket @ that slip on? Hi-temp silicone? any type of tape? or simply slip it in w/no gasket and tighten the crap out of it. TIA.

you should have a alluminum collar that came with your pipe.or you could take the gasket out of your stocker and make it fit by opening it up a bit with a dremel or even some coarse sandpaper.make sure to have a bit of clearence,or they are very hard to remove.and i also put anti-seize on the connection.

I'm pretty sure this will work. You need to get the gasket from a 450 or 426 that goes between the header and muffler. The FMF header has a larger OD, and the 426 does also. The muffler ID is the same on both. If this is the case, you know there is no way RTV seal it.

The FMF aluminum sleeve that noslo33 is talking about is designed to fit the stock (small OD) header to the FMF Muffler.

I have put an FMF power bomb header on a stock '02 WR250 Muffler and a stock '06 WR250 Muffler using this gasket, and it fit and sealed perfectly.

Another adaptation I have done is Power Bomb to a white brother's pipe using a copper pipe (1 1/2", I think). I've got some posts about it somewhere.

If you've got calipers, and can get an accurate measure of your muffler ID and header OD, I can confirm this for you, but I'm 99% sure it will work.

Thanks,

Toby

Toby, are you saying rtv wouldn't work in my case? Reason I ask is it takes weeks for me To get parts and I want to ride. Wouldn't fmf sell an adapter? I should have just bot the stock head pipe, I'm kinD of pissed.

You need the stock gasket for an 06-up YZ250F, the header size was increased for those years and it matches the FMF powerbomb size.

When I used a Factory 4.1 muffler with the stock header on my 2006 WR, I used the supplied aluminum adapter. However, when I replaced the stock header with a Ti PowerBomb header, the headpipe slipped right into the mid-pipe with a close fit, and I used high temp silicone, per the installation directions.

In this pic, you can see the good fit of the header to the midpipe.

DSCN0015.jpg

I put a carbon fiber heat shield on it to match the muffler can.

DSCN0018.jpg

Here's a pic of the muffler and mid-pipe with the side cover removed.

DSCN0014.jpg

Toby, are you saying rtv wouldn't work in my case? Reason I ask is it takes weeks for me To get parts and I want to ride. Wouldn't fmf sell an adapter? I should have just bot the stock head pipe, I'm kinD of pissed.

If the fit is as loose as I think, that will be a lot of RTV, and I don't think that will work. The FMF sleeve I'm thinking of is made for a smaller header OD. However, if you really want to get the pipe on, it might work to use the copper pipe sleeve.

This will take up about half the space, and help the RTV.

You will need a large copper pipe union, elbow, or T for a 1 1/2" pipe. Cut off the part that slips over the copper pipe (about 1" long). This should slide over your powerbomb.

If you want to get fancy, cut some slits in about 1/2" from each end to allow it to compress. The slits should be across from each other on one end, and rotated about 99 degrees on the other. Actually you probably won't have to do this because you won't be compressing it.

-Toby

How big of a gap is it between the two pipes? FMF says in their directions to use hi-temp RTV if the gap is too small for a collar or gasket.

I put a pro circuit pipe and header on a bike and the pipe came with a tube of anti seize to use at the connection of the header and tailpipe. It's (the anti seize) lasted longer than any rtv I've used on other pipes.