Sign in to follow this  

1st dirt bike needs some lovin' 1987 RM 125

I need steering head bearings, the kick starter rattles like crazy (what part would I need to cure this) and the clutch actuation is ridiculously heavy, seriously way too much force needed to pull in lever.

I'd also like to replace the wheel bearings while I'm at it and change out the cruddy looking fork boots.

Can all these parts be acquired from Thumpertalk's shop?

Can you please suggest a remedy for making the clutch lever pull more manageable.

I just signed up today and I'm not familiar with the forum and or how I'd go about getting parts.

Cheer's, Ciaran

Can you please suggest a remedy for making the clutch lever pull more manageable.

A new cable will be a huge improvement, maybe all you need. If this does not remedy it you will need to pull the clutch plates, give them a clean and inspect the basket.

If you didnt know already, 24 year old parts may be hard to find. You might want to assess all the bikes needs, price them out then decide if its worth it. If you end up spending hundreds of dollars on it, keep in mind it ill be hard to get that money back if you decide to sell it.

to get the kickstarter to stop rattling, disassemble it at the knuckle and there will be a steel ball and a spring inside. Hyper-extend the spring a little bit,reassemble it with grease. This will help tremendously, if not cure the problem. Remove the clutch cable from the bike and saturate it with wd40, working cable back and forth,then reinstall, making sure cable is routed correctly..

I will check that out ickfinger, once it stops raining here in San Diego. Thank guys, I'll let ya's know how it goes.

Whether it was what you could afford or what you like makes no difference, these are great little bikes and there are a ton of parts out there to put one together. We bought three basket cases this year, one 87, and two 88s. My sons friend built the 87 up and it is a little ripper. I am going to make a 134 woods bike out of the other two. As already stated though assess the bike, and try to stay under 800.00 total investment(completely rebuilt). Then just have fun.:busted:

Well, I guess it was time for a new clutch cable. While removing the original to soak/lube the adjuster fitting about 10"s from the clutch perch snapped when I tried to unlock/open it up.

I ordered a NEW Motion Pro replacement should be here Thur/Friday.

Is there anyone here I could send my clutch actuator arm to that could cut & add some material to (lengthen it some) to gain more leverage making the clutch a little lighter ?

I'm gonna start wet sanding the plastics today to spruce them up a bit.

I need steering head bearings, the kick starter rattles like crazy (what part would I need to cure this) and the clutch actuation is ridiculously heavy, seriously way too much force needed to pull in lever.

I'd also like to replace the wheel bearings while I'm at it and change out the cruddy looking fork boots.

Can all these parts be acquired from Thumpertalk's shop?

I just signed up today and I'm not familiar with the forum and or how I'd go about getting parts.

Cheer's, Ciaran

Try taking off your clutch cable and squirtung wd40 down while moving the inside of the cable up and down, keep doing it until the wd40 drips out the bottom, I do this as a regular part of maintainence. When you do the bearings be sure to load the inside of the wheel with greece and try ebay for the bearings. I know bearings have a number on them and you can usually match them up with them if you can get the old ones out in one piece.

Replacement clutch cable came in, I hooked it up and its so much easier to actuate than the original cable, like a whole new bike :busted:

I started to sand down the OEM fairings (@ 320 grit stage) as they're pretty scratched up, not looking for perfection here with the finish, just a clean up.

As far as I can tell there are no steering head bearings available for this year bike, anyone with contradictory info please chime in :busted:

I pulled off the kick starter and tried to stretch out the spring with no success.

I'm gonna add a durable plastic washer and a tonne of grease when I put it back together, see how that works out.

Hopefully I can make it to Competitive Edge MX park this Saturday:ride:

As far as I can tell there are no steering head bearings available for this year bike, anyone with contradictory info please chime in :busted:

:

Are your bearings beyond repair? As in lots of play in steering head? Otherwise soak them in solvent for 24hrs or so, wipe them down and regrease.

If your bearings are hooped I would try to source them from a bearing supplier.

Ya know I'm not sure whats going on with the bearings. When I turn bars left & right they kinda hang up 1/2 way thru the turn, I don't notice it much when riding but a bud noticed it immediately when he tested the bike for me.

I'm ordering replacement fork boots, once they come in I'll get into the bearings and see whats up. in the meantime I'm still gonna ride the bike regardless, I'm new to dirt and taking it easy.

No play in steering head, maybe just need a good cleaning and re-greasing.

I'd be willing to bet if you take the old bearings to a bearing shop (SKF / Timken or whatever you have local) they can replace them cheap-cheap.

True story, I was rebuilding an older Harley last year. I went to an HD dealer and asked for replacement bearings for the head and they were $110 for the set. I looked at them and saw they were Timken bearings in the box. Went to the the local bearing shop with the Timken's I removed from the head and they sold me the exact same set as the dealer for $35.

THAT's what I call avoiding the Harley tax. But an important lesson for things like bearings. Buy them from a bearing supply business, it's ALL they do.

Try suzukipartsplus.com

They list in stock oem steering stem bearings for types j and g/h for $37.73 for '87 RM 125s. Don't know the difference btw the 2 types. Maybe someone else does?

.... But an important lesson for things like bearings. Buy them from a bearing supply business, it's ALL they do.

I ran into the same deal when I was rebuilding a '81 RM250, I needed crank bearings and the dealership wanted $35 per bearing. Went to the local bearing supply and I got both for just over $20. So anyone looking for bearings beyond a wrist pin bearing or rod bearing, try going to a bearing supply store there's big money to be saved.

My 2nd dirt bike needs no luvin LOL

I'm a nutjob, found a really clean, well looked after 2002 RM125 with recent motor rebuild, Excel rims, new tires, Renthal bars, ASV levers, Pro Circuit Platinum/R-304 shorty. Pick it up manana.

He says the Showa's were upgraded with RG3's which should work for my weight. I'll check for the stamp/marking RG3 add to the forks when they work on them.

RG3 stamp should be by the air bleeder valve?

To get some life back into plastics. On my 84 RM125 I just Sanded w/1000-2000 grit, wet. (best possible) And clean, then applied 'Mop & Glo'. There is a M/C Plastic Renue kit commercially avail. But the Mop & Glo made my original fender look better than the crappy A/M fenders out there.