Sign in to follow this  

Hotcam stage 1 xr600 1996

Ive just ordered a stage 1 hotcam for my 1996 xr600 just wondering is there anything else i need to purchase for the upgrade? also is re jetting a must due to different valve clearencies more flow etc, just checking really because i dont know how it comes i.e with instructions or not ,also do you just take the cam sprocket off old cam and fit to new, and is the pin and spring for the auto decomp just removed and left like that??:busted:

Don't know much about them except that different versions of the Hotcams need larger Tappet gaps than others ,,setting should come with the instructions. Far as I know you'd just use the old Cam Sprocket and remove the auto decomp spring and plunger from the recess in the head..You only have to plug one of the oil/pin retainer holes on the Cam should you take all the auto stuff off the original and run that,,Hotcam ,,not required..

Whatever you do, watch valve clearances and set them per hotcams spec! (IN 0.15 and EX 0.2)

Got three chewed rockers and a worn hotcams cam for not doing so right now... :busted:

No oil problem, middle bearing is fine and nr.4 camlobe and rocker is also in perfect condition..

Ive just ordered a stage 1 hotcam for my 1996 xr600 just wondering is there anything else i need to purchase for the upgrade? also is re jetting a must due to different valve clearencies more flow etc, just checking really because i dont know how it comes i.e with instructions or not ,also do you just take the cam sprocket off old cam and fit to new, and is the pin and spring for the auto decomp just removed and left like that??:busted:

All that is on the instruction sheet that comes with the cam. If there isn't an instruction sheet for whatever reason, a .pdf version can be downloaded from their site on the product page.

Whatever you do, watch valve clearances and set them per hotcams spec! (IN 0.15 and EX 0.2)

Got three chewed rockers and a worn hotcams cam for not doing so right now... :busted:

No oil problem, middle bearing is fine and nr.4 camlobe and rocker is also in perfect condition..

Were the rockers new or used? Assembly lube?

All that is on the instruction sheet that comes with the cam. If there isn't an instruction sheet for whatever reason, a .pdf version can be downloaded from their site on the product page.

Were the rockers new or used? Assembly lube?

Yes new rockers. Were the cheap fleabay ones though..

Yes I used assembly grease, though it wasn't anything special. Also poured oil in cap on startup.

One of them is still absolutely perfect, just as one camlobe. The other three are worn in and cam lobes distroyed... but no heat discoloring...

I think it wore though the hard facing because of tight clearances, or during running and then it started wearing away slowly.

Íf damage was done during break-in I've driven two years and about 8000km's with it... :busted: Did find a fine mist of particles in oil during oil-changes since I rebuild.

I'm going to use OEM used ones with the new hotcams shaft I have.

What do you reccomend for assembly lube for break-in? Hotcams advises against molycote.. The black coating on the camshaft seems very rough for your fingernail..as if t would grind through the chrome rockerfacing.

There is a big anti-Hot Cams thread up on ADV Rider right now in the Thumpers forum dealing mainly with the cams for '88+ 600 and 650cc RFVC engines. I pointed out that there are still too many variables and too little evidence to condemn the cam, but when people want someone to blame, they're find something.

Recommended or not, I used some very old cam break-in lube from Crower that originally cam with a flat tappet Chevrolet cam. My rockers are used Honda parts and I am sure that lubrication gets to the top end.

The cams are fine, it's the guys not checking oiling systems that's the problem. Ya blow up a motor and just throw another cam in is an invitation to trashin the top end. I've never had a cam fail that wasn't my fault for not checking the oiling. Non spec clearances within reason won't hurt either, racers have widened clearance to shorten duration and improve torque for years.

Hot Cams are fine they are the correct chilled cast iron material necessary to run on a chrome rocker. People blame everything but themselves when there are problems. I would recommend new rockers though not necessary. Don’t buy flea bay rockers stick with oem. There are too many concerns such as the quality of the chrome plating and the squareness of the rocker pad in relation to the rocker shaft. If not manufactured correctly these things will make a cam fail nearly instantly. Also, follow Hot Cams’ break in instruction to the letter. You will not have problems.

nothign wrong with the hotcam stg 1. You can even regrind it with les sbase circle to increase lift if you so wish. The problem of wear is poor oil supply.

Wont go into how I know!