Sign in to follow this  

XR350 bogging at higher RPM

My son has been riding is XR350 (single carb) all summer and fall. Recently parked the bike and next weekend it was having problems advancing or I guess you could call it bogging at higher rpm. The bike starts, but when trying to rev the motor, it bogs at higher rpm. You can putt down the road at low rpm, but you cannot throttle up. Any ideas on what would have caused this?

Thanks for the help in advance. :busted:

I had the carb out, but will check the main jet. Anything else that would cause it to bog when rev'd?

Thanks,

spark plug cap and wire could do that, if you look in the cap end there is a screw that you can take out that holds a resistor and spring. That resistor can crap out and can be replaced with something the same size like part of a brass screw, or weld rods etc. Also check the wire where it screws into the plug cap, you might have to cut and redo it. Even a bad sparkplug could give you trouble like that? The resistor should measure around 5k ohms if you have a meter, if you remove just make sure you run a resistor plug.

Crap gas. I hate E10 ! Use Startron in your gas for sure. Mix 50/50 with 100LL AvGas. or lower octane non oxygenated race gas. 110oct or lower.

My son has been riding is XR350 (single carb) all summer and fall. Recently parked the bike and next weekend it was having problems advancing or I guess you could call it bogging at higher rpm. The bike starts, but when trying to rev the motor, it bogs at higher rpm. You can putt down the road at low rpm, but you cannot throttle up. Any ideas on what would have caused this?

Thanks for the help in advance. :busted:

Have check your valve lash clearance

Are you sure you not hit the rev limiter? maybe the CDI start to go bad

Thanks for all the advice. I am waiting for a new set of jets and will try that. I checked the plug wire and it seems ok...I have not looked at the CDI, but that will be next. Also flushing all the fuels....I will let you know

Crap gas. I hate E10 ! Use Startron in your gas for sure. Mix 50/50 with 100LL AvGas. or lower octane non oxygenated race gas. 110oct or lower.

X2, don't leave the gas for extended period of time. The E10 does not age well, especially on the older technology. Fresh gas rules.

Thanks for all the advice. I am waiting for a new set of jets and will try that. I checked the plug wire and it seems ok...I have not looked at the CDI, but that will be next. Also flushing all the fuels....I will let you know

if it was the jets you could have just cleaned them, i had a bad cdi on my old dr100 and it doesnt seem like thats what it is because i could rev it out it would just clunk out every once and a while and not get good enough spark to fire until i tapped it with a rock or something lol but this bike could be different.

but yeah it could be a bad plug i had it happen a few times but it sounds like a clogged jet to me