Sign in to follow this  

VIN trouble

Hi everyone, i'm about to trade a '67 f100 for an '05 crf450r, the only catch is the current owner doesn't have a title for it. He is confident it isn't stolen, but i asked for the vin anyways, he sent me JH2PE0 255M306721 notice how its missing a digit lol... He says there is a spot that has been rubbed by the cables to a point where it is unreadable. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the missing digit(which i'm guessing is the 7th digit) I am trying to track down the last person who owned the bike before i go through with the trade to try to get a title and make sure it isn't stolen, thanks a lot guys.

Better yet let the current owner find the previous owner and get the paperwork in order before you take it. If he can't do that leave it.

The current owner is kinda.... country lol... He didn't know dirt bikes had titles lol. He says the bike has been through a lot of owners so he has no idea who the last registered person could be. I messed up my wording, i didn't mean previous owner, i meant the last person it was registered through the dmv, is there anyway to figure out that digit?

I think i've narrowed it down to either a 5 or a 6, unless the missing digit is not the seventh one. i

think the first six and the last seven are in order, just don't know if the missing digit is 7th 8th 9th or 10th :busted:

I dont know what the Motor Vehicle Department is like in your state , but In Idaho (i just moved from there) , if you dont have a title , its a pain to track everything , without paying for title searches and then IF the thing was never titled , or registered properly , you (or who ever buys it) will have to pay the taxes on the Original Purchase Price (which would be what the bike cost new) , plus penalties for them not being done , so you might want to do some PRE-investigating , if it went thru multiple owners without proper registration , someone (usually the new buyer) will have to pay all the sales tax for each sale , so if the bike was sold 3 times for $3,000 , the buyer would have to pay the tax for all 3 , $3,000 purchases , so whatever tax would be on $9,000 that is what you would have to pay , so before you jump into a snake pit , better make sure because with a missing Vin # , you just really complicated things , personally , i would pass on it and look for something else with less of a paper nightmare !!

Each state handles Title issues differently , but a missing Vin # might cost a lot because of the investigation to track the bike and its paperwork , because they will have to check each digit from 0-9 to see if there is a matching bike then eliminate each one until they run out of numbers , so they can positively identify the number on the bike you are looking at , so until 9 other bikes are found eliminating all the vin # that is missing on the one you are looking at , then they can not positively identify that bike

Too much hassle if you ask me , lots of other bikes out there at a good price with paperwork !

And the 10th digit is the year , so if it was a 05 , the tenth digit would be a 5 , depending on the month the bike was manufactured as they usually start the next year run anywhere from June to Sept of the same year , so it could in fact be a #6 for the tenth digit even if they thought it was a 05 bike , without paperwork , you might as well spend money on Lottery Tickets , you will have better luck winning the jackpot , than you will getting a title for that bike , without a title its worth parts and that it , you will not be able to get a Off-Road Sticker for it , and if you ever get stopped , the bike will be confiscated (if the Vin # is not officially repaired , and you cant fake that as they use special stamps to do Vin #) , so Beware !!!

Thanks a lot guys, the current owner isn't really helping. He won't even tell me where the missing digit is lol. I guess i will just let this one pass, thanks for the info guys.