Sign in to follow this  

Good artical on "How to read your Plug" based on jetting..

Exactly. You can't really read a plug any more with modern fuels.

You can tell if you are severely out of spec, and the plug is black or white, but dialing it in is done with a dyno now.

plug reading is a thing of the past,with todays extended reach plugs and junk fuel,you cant really do a good plug reading on the modern 4 strokers.a dyno and wide band AF meter are the only way to get it perfect,or just use the but dyno and this forum.lolthere are alot of smart dudes that frequent this forum.peace and wheelies!!!

ok ok ok I get the point, I suck at finding good articles to help us jetting rookies... So if my plug is black, I can't make the assumption that my bike is probably running rich, and white its running lean, just to give me a direction?? Thats all I was hoping to get across with the article. Black rich, white lean, thats it. Not completely be able to read everything thats goin on in the motor by looking at the plug lol. I think maybe yall took it out of context the basic point I was trying to get out there for us rookie tuners... Get what I'm saying? I don't have a dyno at home, so thats out of the question, I get ethanol free gas from the marina down the street, and I posted this because I've been working on my gfs 98 xr100 and we've been tryn to figure out whats wrong with the jetting. I pulled the plug out and it was super black, saw this article someone had already posted on here and thought that maybe the bike was a little rich just based on what I read...

if the honda has much time on it,just replace the needle and nozzle.when they get worn,it creates a rich condition.

Thanks man. I have a whole new carb since it was only $30 new. I had a new plug in it with the old carb and it was black as Shit. Wr new it was some kind of jetting issue, just couldn't figure out what. When u start the bike, it idled like the throttle is half twisted open... it ran fine this summer my buddy told me, then when I came to buy it and we crunk it up (1st time in 2 months or so) its been outta wack. It's colt now too, so maybe that had to do with it? My 1st bike was an xr100 when I was like 10, and we never had to rejet or anything. Bike was solid year around....