Cops were ridin me all the way

Most of these petty laws are made to cater for the lowest common denominator...

I don't see the big deal about jumping a kerb if purposeful and there are no pedestrians or harm done..

If a common sense attitude was adopted by police their weekly turnover of revenue would be vastly reduced...so they keep Common Sense in the background to keep the till rattling..to be used at their convenience..

I am sure that all of you that don't like cops will be calling them the first second you can after you are a victim of a crime. I can see the problem with jumping curbs... people walk on sidewalks... motorcycles shouldn't ride on them...

Have you ever tried reading a motorcycle plate from a car? I can see why police get on my butt after I did something dumb.

question: whats the legality on hopping curbs in parking lots? Aren't parking lots technically private property, so the cops cant do anything unless you jump a curb that the government payed for?

anyone a lawyer? lol

I am. You were fine in the parking lot. It is true it is NOT about the money...its about the POWER. We have an incredible percentage of dick cops here. In fact...picked randomly, I would trust a regular citizen over a Missouri cop to do the right thing in just about any situation (I am a former prosecutor even).

• Like 1

When in doubt, pull over. I got a ticket that I didn't earn. Cop followed me for almost two miles. He was acting kinda weird so I thought something was up and spent most of that time alternating between speedo and road every second or so. Even though I wasn't speeding, the bugger still pulled me over (1000 yards from the exit he was going to get off so he didn't miss it) and insisted I was doing 10 over.

If I had just pulled off he might have picked a different victim. Then again, he probably would have written me up for speeding and improper exit or some unheard of statute.

I really need to install cameras on everything I drive. Between idiot drivers and immoral cops I'll have plenty of videos. Sadly, the videos would probably get thrown out in court.

at one point this year i began riding with my gopro on my helmet at all times, but it was just too big a hassle to deal with every time i hopped on the bike so i quit. maybe i should take that up again.

and im glad its not just me that thinks all the cops in missouri are dicks. i HAVE had 2 cops pull me over that were very nice and logical, told me the minor thing i did wrong, and let me go with a warning. i like those kind of cops.

• Like 1

GoPro and its ilk won't help much... Evidence cameras with internal GPS, sound, proprietary (uneditable) format (hard for a prosecutor to refute), incident button and saves to disk in small chunks (you may not want to show a judge the entire ride) are the way to go.

I travel with no less than three, often 4. Forward, rearward, helmet (optional) and one on my person in my breast pocket with the lens peaking through a hole.. They have been useful a couple of times.

This helps make the rider who is normally a soft target for the police and the courts much harder to get when there has been no wrong doing.

well there are good cops tbh. i often find the older guys who have been doing the job for a long time can be very decent. my experience of cops is only here is tasmania though, i cant speak for else where.

who knew that doing a little slalom in the road was careless and imprudent

slalom = weaving back and forth? I do that all the time. Keeps my head focused on what im doing and that im in control of the bike. I don't want to be just daydreaming while i get from point A to B.

As for standing up and riding i believe last time i took the written test there was something about it. Something about you should be using it to your advantage to check visibility. As long as your feet are on the pegs i don't think it matters where your ass is :busted:

there are good cops and bad cops-I always feel we tend to over-generalize in these discussions, and there are some cops on the board, and I'm sure they are among the good cops-or at least the empathetic ones :busted:

Tailgaiters: at age 16 I had an epiphany one day. A cop was riding my ass as I drove along in my old beater pontiac, having done nothing wrong-just a kid in a car=target: a leaf blew out onto the road in front of me, "I thought it was a squirrel (I don't hunt and try not to hurt animals)," so I slammed on the brakes. The cop was only about 20 feet behind me, on the radio and trying to intimidate. He had all he could do to avoid ramming me: full lock on the brakes, swerve to the curb, drop the coffee cup...-he didn't pull me over and never gave me a problem again.

Since then, I have used this method with great effect on all types of tailgaters-if they are too close to stop, it's their problem.

As for curbs: yeah, it's illegal. I used to live in south korea, and there the sidewalk is just another lane for bikes. When I moved back here, I found myself having to adjust. Was going to school in state of maine one day, a bit late for classes. Came upon a small traffic jam and a clear sidewalk (riding 84 vf750f stripped, piped and ratty). Rolled onto the sidewalk out of habit (didn't slow or stop, just changed lanes onto it), openned it up to get to the intersection before the light changed, sliding sideways, front end light. Blasted to the intersection, looked both ways: clear, shot off the sidewalk into the intersection at full boom. As I cleared it I noticed a cop in one of the lanes waiting for the light to change. He was trapped by the traffic, or I'm sure he'd have been after me.

I had only been back a few days by then, and after re-adjusting, I stopped doing that-but it is so tempting!-clear sidewalks, crowded roads!

Cops do prey on the "easy tickets," and ignore real problems too much. Every time I come st someone at night, who refuses to drive using their low beam lights, someone pulls out in front of me, people riding the left lane while not passing or making a left turn, trailers with no lights, tag, fenders, etc., so many things that could be hazardous, I wander where's the law at? Then I look over and see them writing a seat belt ticket. A real concern for public safety there.

Motorcycles on the road follow the same rules as a car. Do cars curb hop?

He saw you doing something stupid, followed you to make sure you didn't do anything else stupid.

Stop bashing cops for doing their jobs.

Is running a stop sign when there is no one around "ok"? No it's not. It's breaking the law.

So if you admit to curb hopping, or anything else here, do you really think you giving the rest of us a bad rep, is going to gain much support?

And if you biffed and endowed hopping said curb, landed on your head, crack your neck, who do you think gets called to potentially save your life? When some punks steal your DRZ when your lying in the street, who do you expect to go after them?

Not every cop is perfect, obviously, neither are "us".

And if you biffed and endowed hopping said curb, landed on your head, crack your neck, who do you think gets called to potentially save your life?

Unless you carry a C collar in your car you won't be of much help. Around here we call the paramedics.