Sign in to follow this  

Help!

My name is cody littau and im 16. I raced the B class in canada this season and won. By a single point. I was racing a stock 2010 rm-z250 with a mrd pipe. I was at an extreme dis-advantage due to majority of the class using full pro circuit race engines. My bike blew up a week ago after 78 hrs of hard riding. I will be racing the pro class for 2012 and do not feel i can compete on a stock bike. Unfortunately we are on a shoe string budget. Any ideas on cheap mods? i was thinking about a 269 big bore but if i get caught with that at nationals the fine would be the cost of a pro circuit engine.

Check the rules carefully. Most allow big bore kits. My son rides a RMZ 250 W/ a Athena 290kit and stage 2 cams. Rides two open "A" classes. Holeshoting a lot of them and running

2nd to 4th most of the time...

Keyword in your post is OPEN A classes Fender. In Canada they have strict rules according to bore and stroke.

Best bet for your bike is cams, exhaust, mapping, and race fuel. Race engines only get people so far, at the end of the day unless your bike is in 5th gear on the rev limiter..that motor has more power then you're using.

Check the rules carefully. Most allow big bore kits. My son rides a RMZ 250 W/ a Athena 290kit and stage 2 cams. Rides two open "A" classes. Holeshoting a lot of them and running

2nd to 4th most of the time...

What is reliability and engine wear like? Did you try it with standard cams?

Keyword in your post is OPEN A classes Fender. In Canada they have strict rules according to bore and stroke.

Best bet for your bike is cams, exhaust, mapping, and race fuel. Race engines only get people so far, at the end of the day unless your bike is in 5th gear on the rev limiter..that motor has more power then you're using.

I agree with the first part , but the second part is not correct IMO , anyone can use more HP , think about it , nobody on earth could go through a turn in 5th gear on the limiter so that means James Stewart cant use the power of a 250F, if you have more HP you can come off a second or third gear corner quicker , the bike accelerates quicker through the gears if it is hooking up and has more HP

My name is cody littau and im 16. I raced the B class in canada this season and won. By a single point. I was racing a stock 2010 rm-z250 with a mrd pipe. I was at an extreme dis-advantage due to majority of the class using full pro circuit race engines. My bike blew up a week ago after 78 hrs of hard riding. I will be racing the pro class for 2012 and do not feel i can compete on a stock bike. Unfortunately we are on a shoe string budget. Any ideas on cheap mods? i was thinking about a 269 big bore but if i get caught with that at nationals the fine would be the cost of a pro circuit engine.

my son decided to keep his 2011 because the 2012 has no changes. We decided to take the money he would have had to pay for the new bike and stick it in the 2011. I split the cases because the tranny was having issues. We are replacing the necessary tranny parts and having iso treatment and heat treating done to it. I'm having harris performance in texas port the motor and regrind the stock cams. rebuild the crank also. Then we are putting the full Yosh exhaust with the data collector and PIM2 programmer on. These bikes are very fast stock but I think this will make us pretty happy. but really watch the tranny. they aren't very resilient.

What is reliability and engine wear like? Did you try it with standard cams?

YES we did run it with stock cams. The top end was a little flat but the bottom end was soo much better I geared it up three teeth in the rear and sometimes one on the front. (12/47 13/47 12/50 13/50) Then with the stage 2 cams it picked the top end back up maybe better before. We ride mostly off road with 250 2st and 300's and 450's and he does very well for a 250f.... The reliability is as good as before the BB kit... The main problem we've had has been with the crank....Those light ass rod bearings SUCK

Move up to a 450. There is less of a disadvantage from the factory to the privateers. And maint. should be a little cheaper

Thanks for all your advice. We looked into the athena big bore 290 because it was a cheap way to keep up with those race engines. unfortunately the head looks different than stock and my dad is scared that it would be noticeable and people would protest. The stock bike was powerful, dont get me wrong. but its just not enough

And i would love to have a 450! in the gp-pro am class a kawi rep lent me a 2011 kx450 and i loved it! finished 3rd that day! anyways i dont think im ready for a 450, i wanna get my name out there in the 250 class at nationals first.

my son decided to keep his 2011 because the 2012 has no changes. We decided to take the money he would have had to pay for the new bike and stick it in the 2011. I split the cases because the tranny was having issues. We are replacing the necessary tranny parts and having iso treatment and heat treating done to it. I'm having harris performance in texas port the motor and regrind the stock cams. rebuild the crank also. Then we are putting the full Yosh exhaust with the data collector and PIM2 programmer on. These bikes are very fast stock but I think this will make us pretty happy. but really watch the tranny. they aren't very resilient.

What is this programmer you speak of? on the 2010 i can program my engine!?!? i went up a tooth on the front sprocket because i needed top end and i was popping out of ruts, but i sacrificed a ton down low. if i could tune it that would be awesome!

:busted:

Yosh sells what they call their PIM2. It replaces your stock efi controller and you can program it with your laptop.