Whats my bike worth?

Well I finally made the switch to the new ktm250sx. So far I am not overly impressed with it compared to my bike, but I think once I get it dialed in it'll be really nice. So now I have to sell my super awesome yz, and I have no idea what I should ask for it. So here it goes with all the parts.

2009 yz250 that I bought new

2 gas tanks

1 set of DNA wheels with three rides and a fresh set of dunlop mx51's wheels also have oversize disc on front and disc and sprocket on back

stock wheels with fresh tires oversize rotor up front and new sprocket and rotor on bike.

fresh brakes front and rear

Brand new topend

Brand new swingarm, linkage, and shock bearings along with new bolts

twinwall renthal handle bars

Brembo master cylinder, stainless front line, and honda caliper (stops better than the ktm)

Williams motorworx ported cylinder, polished transmission (which got new gears this winter) and cut head

Mx tech suspension with all the kit and kaboodles with three hours on a fresh rebuild

I really didn't think I was going to buy a ktm, but I have had an increase in work and wanted to treat myself. Honestly, this bike is better than the ktm. I just wanted something new. I know I'm probably missing some stuff, but it can't be much. What should I ask for this? Is 4500 obo out of line?

Edited by Jo_nathan
spelling

For a stock yz, I think 4500 would be too high, but you have some cool add-ons that up the value. A lot of people, when looking for bikes, want something that is as close to stock as possible. So the add-ons might actually hurt you on the sale. I would put it up for $4500 and I think you will find out pretty quick if the price is right or not.

I'd really would like to try an avoid parting it out. I know 4500 is steep. I'd be tickled pink to get 4000 out of it. I think I'll clean it up and set it at 4500 and go from there. It's a great bike that I hate to see go, but I'm a giant tight wad and the only way I could justify the new bike was to sell this one. Thanks for the opinion.

FYI, I bought my 08 for $2200 with a bunch of spare parts. Of course, that was a steal at the right time of year and probably not as nice as yours, but more than double is a big difference. If I were in the market, I'd be a buyer at around $3200.

IMO, I would list the bike for $3800-$3900 and strongly consider anything over $3k. Sell your spare wheels, tank and other parts separately. You might just make that $4k :busted:

Coming from a guy that has been selling off some his lesser used toys this year, just be prepared to either get less than you want, or it taking a while to sell, with the current economy. Due to so many people being out of work, the classified are overflowing with good deals from people selling their bikes just trying to make their mortgage... People keep saying it's a buyers market... not a sellers market.

But then again, sometimes you do just get lucky. I've sold more than one used item for top-dollar in Reno to some guy that suddenly was flush with money after a good night of gambing.

Also, to get the best results, put together a good ad: find any and all documentation you can on mods/maint. Think about adding a gas can and an old helmet to the deal for the impulse-buy newbies. Think through your ad, don't just cater to the 1 person that might be looking for your exact bike; cater the ad to anyone lookin for a good bike.

And like the others alluded to, if you have the time, it would be in your best interest to get the bike close to stock again, and sell all the mods on ebay... but time is money, and selling mods individually can be a slow - laborous process.

I hate parting stuff out. I know 3500 is more reasonable but i think an obo will help show ill negotiate. Besides, I do love to haggle lol. I may not sell it. Its honestly better than my ktm at this point. No way am I putting the same kind of money into the ktm as I did with this yamaha. Oh well. I get it cleaned up and on the market.

its difficult to get opinons from others here as they can be biased as the "buyers view point". i bet they also want higher when theyd sell thier toys aswell.

id say, you keep it 4500 just like you wanted and see for yourself. you gotta start higher coz we all know ppl want love to haggle a bit.

yoiu need:

*a good add

*good picture (dont get too many, one is enough. leave something wanting for more) this way you know who is a serious buyer.

*some patience

* you might also get ready to lower yoiur price as time goes by if it doesnt sell and you are really in need of money.