Sign in to follow this  

Grinding an R sprocket for the L.

Grabbed an "R" Primary Drive front sprocket to put on my "L", but haven't gotten the chance to put it on yet. Does anyone have a photo of where/what/how much they ground off the "R" sprocket? Thanks in advance. :busted:

Mine went on (just day before yesterday, in fact) without any grinding at all. I have read some have had to increase the chamfer on the inside to get it on, but most seem to be able to just slide it on, tap on it with a deep socket over the shaft and get it to settle in pretty easy. I cleaned out the splines really well with a small brush, coated it lightly with grease, and it went right on, no problems. Update: I suppose I should mention that I got the PBI sprocket...I guess it makes a difference on the chamfer.

BTW, Hi ya'll, I'm Chance....Just put together a 94 XR650L with 6300 miles on it that had had the cases split to replace the selector shaft..and didn't work...so I got it cheap. Re-did the bottom end, re-ringed it and took it out on a test run right after the sprocket install.... all seems well! Going on a good mild single track run in the mountains Tuesday weather permitting, we'll see how it does.

Edited by BChance0975
because usually whats in my head never makes it to the page the first time.

Mine went on (just day before yesterday, in fact) without any grinding at all. I have read some have had to increase the chamfer on the inside to get it on, but most seem to be able to just slide it on, tap on it with a deep socket over the shaft and get it to settle in pretty easy. I cleaned out the splines really well with a small brush, coated it lightly with grease, and it went right on, no problems. Update: I suppose I should mention that I got the PBI sprocket...I guess it makes a difference on the chamfer.

BTW, Hi ya'll, I'm Chance....Just put together a 94 XR650L with 6300 miles on it that had had the cases split to replace the selector shaft..and didn't work...so I got it cheap. Re-did the bottom end, re-ringed it and took it out on a test run right after the sprocket install.... all seems well! Going on a good mild single track run in the mountains Tuesday weather permitting, we'll see how it does.

Welcome to TT Chance.

See if it fits first and if it doesn't then take a grinding stone (thats what i used) on a drill and take off some material then test fit the sprocket. When you can get the clip on then your good to go. I bought a Renthal sprocket and had to do this a few times until i got it right.

See if it fits first and if it doesn't then take a grinding stone (thats what i used) on a drill and take off some material then test fit the sprocket. When you can get the clip on then your good to go. I bought a Renthal sprocket and had to do this a few times until i got it right.

So you are using a cone shaped stone to add some angle to the teeth on the engine side?

So you are using a cone shaped stone to add some angle to the teeth on the engine side?

I "conditioned" my worn, XR650L countershaft to accept the XR650R C/S sprockets by first installing a PBI, then a Moose Racing, XRR C/S sprocket. Using a thinner sprocket for the initial installation definitely makes the job easier. :bonk:

I installed a 15T, Primary Drive sprocket as my fourth, XR650R C/S sprocket. The Primary Drive sprockets are thicker than some others, and the chamfer is also more shallow. In addition to tapping this sprocket onto the countershaft, I also used a cutting wheel on my Dremel Tool to slightly increase the angle of the inside chamfer. :busted:

Spud :busted: