Sign in to follow this  

Washington Concealed Carry & Trail Riding

How do you all (those that carry when they ride) holster your guns? I usually just wear a hip holster but am worried that I will leave a Ruger sized bruise/impression in my hip should I have the misfortune to crash.

Anybody have a more effective carry method? fanny pack or other? :busted:

I use shoulder holster, under a windbreaker or jacket, helps keep the dust off, used to use hip holter but found shoulder much better all around.:busted:

I too am looking for a solution to the same question. Those that answer, please suggest a brand of holster that is working. Thanks. Troy341

pocket of my camelback

That's where mine's been when I carry it lately, but can't see it being all that effective if I needed it in a hurry.

I usually only carry when I ride alone.

How do you all (those that carry when they ride) holster your guns? I usually just wear a hip holster but am worried that I will leave a Ruger sized bruise/impression in my hip should I have the misfortune to crash.

Anybody have a more effective carry method? fanny pack or other? :busted:

Put the gun on your hip, hit it with a hammer. Remove gun, hit your hip with a hammer. Which hurts worse?

I would guess that landing on your side in the sand is about the only place I can think of a gun hurting you more than if you didn't have it.

Once upon a time I did a wheelie up a gravel road (in jeans, like an idiot) and forgot how to hold on. I had road rash on my leg and butt, except for a gun-shaped patch of unharmed skin on my hip.

I use a Don Hume IWB leather holster that tucks into my pants and clips onto the belt. Glock 17. It doesn't have a strap, so I usually worry about the gun falling out, but it has not moved one bit in the last year of riding with it. I used an Uncle Mikes El Cheapo holster before that, and it didn't move either.

must be tough having to live and ride in an area that you have to pack heat to feel comfortable and not being able to ride wherever you feel like. I guess we are luckier than I thought up here in the frozen north.

or I am a little envious because all the bleeding heart crybabies here have made it so I couldn't even if I wanted to. Don't ever let anyone take those rights away from you.

must be tough having to live and ride in an area that you have to pack heat to feel comfortable and not being able to ride wherever you feel like. I guess we are luckier than I thought up here in the frozen north.

You must not have read the thread yet titled, "Creepiest things you've found on the trail." :busted:

I've never felt the need to carry but when you ride on public land there are sketchy people out there who like to drink and shoot their guns and god only knows what else.

I've never felt the need to carry but when you ride on public land there are sketchy people out there who like to drink and shoot their guns and god only knows what else.

try showing up at the walker valley parking lot on a weekday, i have ran into quite a few creepers.

I have an older version of this MSR Roost Pack zip tied to the front of my flak jacket. Its really handy for keeping small stuff easy to access.

Dimensions: 9.25" H x 5.75" W x 2.75" D

33-1103_400.jpg

I also just bought a KLIM Scramble pack belt pack, its padded, large storage area. Quality is top notch.

2011-Klim-Scramble-Pak-Black.jpg

Don't carry, but either might do the trick.

A lot of soldiers carry their M9's strapped to the front of their chest packs. I would think that a holster secured to a roost guard would work well. I think Tactical Tailor in Lakewood has some options in shoulder/chest carry.

I have one of these, havent worn it riding yet, but have done some other activities and the firearm feels secure. I have carried weapons from an LCP to a G17 and they fit nicely.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5taunstsh.html

My preferred method of carry is on the hip though, after saying the above.

Put the gun on your hip, hit it with a hammer. Remove gun, hit your hip with a hammer. Which hurts worse?

I would guess that landing on your side in the sand is about the only place I can think of a gun hurting you more than if you didn't have it.

Once upon a time I did a wheelie up a gravel road (in jeans, like an idiot) and forgot how to hold on. I had road rash on my leg and butt, except for a gun-shaped patch of unharmed skin on my hip.

I use a Don Hume IWB leather holster that tucks into my pants and clips onto the belt. Glock 17. It doesn't have a strap, so I usually worry about the gun falling out, but it has not moved one bit in the last year of riding with it. I used an Uncle Mikes El Cheapo holster before that, and it didn't move either.

Good points! :busted:

As for the merits of why I carry, well lets say I don't plan on being lunch for any of Gods' creatures four legs or two.

I carry a firearm with me no matter where I go or what I'm doing, no exceptions, and I make no apologies for doing what is my right. I've never needed it, but I learned in training to always have it at hand (either hand).

Better to risk the bruise I guess and have it where my hand has been trained to go than to root around in some foreign location trying to find it.

All of my holsters are leather with no straps that do well enough for keep the guns in place. I've never had one fall out, except for the shoulder holster I wear when I'm chillin in my sweat pants watching TV, too easy to hit the snap release on that for riding purposes.

I do use my camel pack for the extra ammo, along with my spare parts and tools.