Sign in to follow this  

Which bike to buy?

I'm looking for a used 125 for my son. Moving up from 85 class. I found a 2007 Honda Cr 125 with full FMF pipe and a couple of other extra's mint cond. 10 hrs. on bike since new, for $2300 or a 2008 YZ 125 stock in similar condition for $3000. I know the YZ is a good bike but I don't know much about the CR or that year. He will be racing mx with the bike. Would like opinions from those who owned both. Thanks

2007 is the last year honda made 2 strokes i think

Yes it was, but is it a good bike, any short falls. How does it compare to YZ 125?

The CR is a great bike in every way except competitive power. Chassis handling ergonomics all great but the motor is weak in comparison to a YZ. If I were in the market for a 125 I would likely get a YZ but would consider a KTM or RM as well. Good luck.

I'm still looking, found a 2008 Husky CR 125 with 15 hrs. on it mint cond. The bike received good reviews, but I dont know anyone who has owned or raced mx with one. The only thing that may be a problem is it has almost a 39 inch seat height. I have to sell my son's 85 first to buy another bike and last buyer fell through.

I think the Yz is the way to go in my opinion.. As said above yamaha had one of the best 125s made and they are still the best, but thats my opinion haha

good luck!!!!

i think they look amazing, if you have a husky dealer in town for parts go for it.

I do have one 20 mins from me. I also think they are sharp looking bikes. I know everyone says yamaha, but like KTM, Husky is still going stong with there 2 stroke market and I never heard a bad thing.

OK, I think I made a decission. I found a 2005 Kawasaki KX 125 all stock in excellent condition and just had a total engine rebuild with receipts to show. The bike starts up on first kick and runs good. I will still have my buddy look at it first, he is a performance engine builder for bikes and I trust his opinion. The guy is asking $2500 for it and I think that is high but he is pretty firm. If it works out maybe I will wave $2200 in front of him and see if he will bite. My son is 140 lbs. and I thought I could get away with adjusting the stock suspension for him, but according to Race Tech the stock spring rate on that bike is set up for 195 lb. rider. That seems high for a 125. My 450 stock wasn't even that high. So now I might have to sink 3 or 4 hundred into getting suspension set up. What do you guys think. Was the 05 KX a good bike. My son does not like Yamaha and even though he will ride what ever I get him, I would like to get him the bike he likes.

I searched around and even tho im a fan of the Yamaha's the cr's rating better than the one of the yz's. I think this bike would be good for the first 2 or 3 years of racing.

OK, I think I made a decission. I found a 2005 Kawasaki KX 125 all stock in excellent condition and just had a total engine rebuild with receipts to show. The bike starts up on first kick and runs good. I will still have my buddy look at it first, he is a performance engine builder for bikes and I trust his opinion. The guy is asking $2500 for it and I think that is high but he is pretty firm. If it works out maybe I will wave $2200 in front of him and see if he will bite. My son is 140 lbs. and I thought I could get away with adjusting the stock suspension for him, but according to Race Tech the stock spring rate on that bike is set up for 195 lb. rider. That seems high for a 125. My 450 stock wasn't even that high. So now I might have to sink 3 or 4 hundred into getting suspension set up. What do you guys think. Was the 05 KX a good bike. My son does not like Yamaha and even though he will ride what ever I get him, I would like to get him the bike he likes.

I think that price is a bit high and the spring rate for a 125 stock is nowhere near 195#. You can find the real specs just by googleing 2005 KX125 specs. Does your son have a reason for his opinion of yamaha. I was a die hard Honda loyal guy when I was younger but then I started riding different bikes and realized they all have some good and bad points.

i would pass, that seems overpriced. especially if you have to revavle it.

keep looking! it is winter too :lol: so you got a couple months to find one!

yer i would go the yz i heard the honda had a few issues with the seal around the airbox peeling and dirt was getting in only what i heard, but the yamy would be my pick

Update. I found another 05 KX 125 in perfect condition and also had a total engine rebuild with ony 5 hrs. Rebuild was prof. done and he has all receipts. Bike has KPS suspension set up for the same weight as my son and that was also just serviced. Lots of aftermarket upgrades on this bike and the seller has all original equiptment that he is giving to me. The price is $2,000 firm and I'm good with that. As far as bike choice, my son is 12 yrs. old and he is a team green fan. I personally like the YZ but I want him to be happy. This is just one of many that we will be buying. Maybe next bike in the future will be a different color. But as far as this bike goes, I'm happy with the seller, big mx family and they are nuts about the care of there bikes. Thanks for all suggestions

Update. I found another 05 KX 125 in perfect condition and also had a total engine rebuild with ony 5 hrs. Rebuild was prof. done and he has all receipts. Bike has KPS suspension set up for the same weight as my son and that was also just serviced. Lots of aftermarket upgrades on this bike and the seller has all original equiptment that he is giving to me. The price is $2,000 firm and I'm good with that. As far as bike choice, my son is 12 yrs. old and he is a team green fan. I personally like the YZ but I want him to be happy. This is just one of many that we will be buying. Maybe next bike in the future will be a different color. But as far as this bike goes, I'm happy with the seller, big mx family and they are nuts about the care of there bikes. Thanks for all suggestions

do it up! :lol: