Sign in to follow this  

synthetic 2T oil?

I'm trying to decide which premix to use, and i've heard good reviews about the maxima 927. Someone told me that once i switch to using synthetic oil, i can't use the regular 2T oil anymore. Is this true???

Yes you can .. Just drain the tank and carb bowl.. You can mix dyno oils and synthetics, but not castor based oils. I don't care for 927 or any castor based oils.. While they perfom extremely well they always seem to gum things up.. I prefer any of the sythetics these days.. Over a period of 45 years riding and racing i have used just about every oil out there.. My oil of preference these days is OPTI-2. However there are many good oils out there.. I'd find a good oil that is available in your area..

Don't sweat the oil. You can switch brands anytime you want (without draining tanks, etc.), as long as you stay away from the castor stuff (which is not very common these days anyway). No need to go with the super expensive stuff either. I've been using a fair amount of the Lucas semi-synthetic oil from O'riely's autoparts lately. It works great in all our bikes.

927 has excellent film strength, but as was mentioned is not extremely low smoke, and has a tendency to cause carbon build up over time. Maxima makes great oils and has other 2t options, you may want to email them, some fuel types are counter indicated for this oil. It used to be very popular before the huge wave of full synth and 4ts showed up.

Klotz benol is another similar offering. I prefer the r50 by the gallon at klotz lube only because its lower smoke and less carbon build up.

I pulled the cylinder from my 09 300 when i sent the bottom end out a few months ago and this is the SECOND time ( 2nd piston) in 8000 miles my head has looked clean as new. the rest of the top end was excellent. ALL of the miles were done using amsoil dominator synthetic. no reason to switch for me....certainly NOT to castor or non syn oil that would gum things up.

Joe

IMG_0277.jpg

Don't sweat the oil. You can switch brands anytime you want (without draining tanks, etc.), as long as you stay away from the castor stuff (which is not very common these days anyway). No need to go with the super expensive stuff either. I've been using a fair amount of the Lucas semi-synthetic oil from O'riely's autoparts lately. It works great in all our bikes.

+1, i use the same stuff too, and really affordable as well. :busted:

I pulled the cylinder from my 09 300 when i sent the bottom end out a few months ago and this is the SECOND time ( 2nd piston) in 8000 miles my head has looked clean as new. the rest of the top end was excellent. ALL of the miles were done using amsoil dominator synthetic. no reason to switch for me....certainly NOT to castor or non syn oil that would gum things up.

Joe

IMG_0277.jpg

+1

Only I've been using Amsoil Interceptor. Half the price of most all other pre-mix oils out there, and as Joe's pictures show, as good as any, better than some.

I mix my oil, maybe 20% 927 and 80% Motul 800. You can mix between different types of oil without much concern. The main advantage of 927 is that as it gets hotter, it forms better lubricants, so therefore the hotter it is the better it is working in your engine. The only issue is that the final product ends up being varnish pretty much and gums up your powervalve.

no ur not supposed to mix the two
I mix my oil, maybe 20% 927 and 80% Motul 800. You can mix between different types of oil without much concern. The main advantage of 927 is that as it gets hotter, it forms better lubricants, so therefore the hotter it is the better it is working in your engine. The only issue is that the final product ends up being varnish pretty much and gums up your powervalve.

Maxima 927 is already a mixture of synthetic and castor oils, Klotz advertises their SuperTechnoplate is 20% castor, 80% synthetic, I would imagine the 927 is similar.

Here is the disclaimer that Maxima states about the 927 product:

Not intended for use in oil injection systems. When blending with alcohol it normally requires more oil. Care must be exercised when blending with low specific gravity (below 0.730) race gasoline or aviation fuels and in temperatures below 35ºF as separation may occur. Separation may also occur in alcohol containing a high percentage of nitromethane. Check before using.

I think for the majority of us a good synthetic or semi-synthetic is the best choice. I use Maxima Formula K2 @ 32:1, I could get by with a cheaper oil and a leaner ratio, but it gives me peace of mind.